What to expect at Saint Martin's
A dedicated faculty – with strong ties to local law enforcement agencies – provides students with a rich, practical environment for exploring the world of criminal justice. Student who participate in Saint Martin’s Criminal Justice Program:
- Study with professionals working in the field, as well as with our regular faculty.
- Gain hands-on experience during internships within agencies that form part of the criminal justice system.
- Complete a required capstone project that allows students to identify and pursue a contemporary issue of significant and substantial concern.
In addition to more traditional coursework addressing the police, corrections and the courts, Saint Martin’s students can broaden their perspective through a wide range of specialty courses, including:
- Drugs and society
- Social justice
- Deviant behavior
- Juvenile justice and rehabilitation
- Restorative justice
Research and internships
Research and internships are championed by the criminal justice faculty. Students are encouraged to reach out to local agencies for internship opportunities and graduates who wish to pursue publication can petition faculty for assistance in the publication process.
Opportunities within criminal justice include:
- Senior thesis publication (e.g. DNA Evidence: Examining Police Officer's Knowledge of Handling Procedures in a Mid-Size)
- Washington State Department of Corrections
- Washington State Medicaid Fraud Control Unit
- Lacey Police Department
A broad range of career opportunities are available to a student majoring in criminal justice. In addition to the field of law enforcement, graduates are prepared for positions in such areas as:
- Legal research or representation
Graduates are also prepared for advanced study.
Students who pursue a minor in criminal justice can use this concentration to enhance a major field of study such as psychology, social work, political science, business or history.
For a complete list of professional applications, visit "What Can I Do With This Major?". For additional information about how Saint Martin’s can help you find the career for you, visit our Career Center.