Photo of students at computer

Military and Military-Affiliated

Military Friendly GOLD School 23-24 badge

For over 50 years, Saint Martin's has supported the educational journeys of our active military, veterans and their families. We understand the immense value your skills and experiences add to our community, and we are on a mission to provide you with the support you need to transform yourself personally and professionally, during your time of service and beyond. 

Below you'll find information about our program offerings, including undergraduate, graduate and certificate programs at our main Lacey campus and Saint Martin's-JBLM campus. You'll also find information about academic resources, career planning, financial aid, and other student services.

Saint Martin's, a Military Friendly® Gold Status university, was the first designated Purple Heart University in Washington State.


Saint Martin’s University awarded Center of Excellence for Veteran Student Success Grant from the U.S. Department of Education

LACEY, Wash. — Saint Martin’s University received a three-year grant, totaling more than $580,000, from the U.S. Department of Education to increase support and programming for veterans. At Saint Martin's, veterans represent 9 percent of the student population. The Center of Excellence for Veteran Student Success (CEVSS) Program Grant will help serve veterans through holistic support, intentionally designed programs, and career and professional development resources.

Book icon

Lacey campus programs

Undergraduate and graduate degrees and certificate programs

Students at JBLM

JBLM campus programs

Undergraduate and graduate degrees and certificate programs

IT and computer science icon


16-week program focusing on computer science and IT

Reverse image of an open door

Ready to apply?

We're excited that you're ready to continue your educational journey!

Academic information

View the academic calendar for Saint Martin's Lacey and JBLM campuses.

View the academic catalog for more program details.

Whether you are located in Washington or out of state, you may be able to finish your degree requirements online—and graduate! Stay connected with your instructors and your classmates using our online learning environment, MOODLE.


Saint Martin's offers over 100 online courses in such subject areas as:

  • Accounting, business administration  

  • Art, English, writing, theatre arts  

  • Criminal justice, legal studies  

  • Computer science, math

  • Economics, history, political science  

  • Philosophy, religious studies  

  • Psychology, sociology   

Online degrees

Currently, Saint Martin's offers psychology as a fully online bachelor's degree program.

Are online courses right for me?

If the statements below describe you, there is a good chance you will find Saint Martin's University's online courses to be a good fit:

  • I prefer to figure out course and assignment instructions on my own.

  • I have good reading comprehension and I am comfortable expressing myself in writing.

  • I am comfortable learning how to use new software and technologies.

  • I take the initiative to ask for assistance when needed.

  • I am an organized student and often do assignments ahead of time.

  • I can continue the learning process without immediate feedback.

  • I enjoy doing academic research using online sources.

Learn more about our ROTC program.


View military and military-affiliated tuition rates.

Saint Martin's is committed to supporting our veterans community. See here for more info on Veterans Assistance at Saint Martin's.

Please note that Saint Martin's does not participate in the State Tuition Waiver program. This means that the Chapter 35 or DEA program does not pay tuition and mandatory fees. The student receives a monthly stipend that is sent directly to them by the VA. This stipend is not the amount of tuition and fees.

To receive VA benefits, you must follow the steps below:

  1. Apply for admission to Saint Martin's.

  2. Apply for benefits through the VA. The VA requires up to 30-45 days to process any paperwork submitted. Once eligibility and rate of percentage has been determined, a certificate of eligibility (COE) is mailed to your home address. Note: Dependents approved to utilize benefits must also apply for benefits online through the VA website. You will receive notification of the dependent transfer approval.  

  3. If you are attending classes on our main campus, bring your COE to the Saint Martin's Registrar's Office (Old Main, 245). If you are attending classes at Saint Martin's-JBLM, bring your COE to any of our JBLM offices. Note: If you are a transfer student and have used your benefits at your prior institution, you need to provide a copy of the COE and fill out the request for change of program or place of training (22-5495). COE’s may be obtained through your prior institutions' veterans representative. 

  4. Complete the Saint Martin's request for certification form. Then contact our Veteran's Representative. For Lacey campus, that will be or 360-438-4356. For Saint Martin's-JBLM, that will be or 253-584-4149. Your Veteran's Representative is available to answer any question you may have regarding the process of applying, understanding your benefits and certification. Note: The VA Rep is not an academic advisor or an employee of the Department of Veterans Administration. The university cannot override VA policies or determine VA Eligibility, nor does the university control the issuance of VA educational benefits; however, academic decisions may impact your educational benefits, so we will help you with this decision making process. If you have direct questions regarding the processing of your paperwork through the regional office, please contact 1-888-442-4551.

  5. Meet with your academic advisor. Prior to registration, you will need to meet with your advisor to make sure you are registering for the proper classes, meeting degree requirements and making progress towards graduation.

VA chapters:

Visit here for more VA chapter information.

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill® - Pays tuition and mandatory fees directly to university depending on eligibility

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty - Pays monthly stipend* directly to student

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation - Pays tuition, mandatory fees, mandatory books ad supplies directly to university

Chapter 35 - Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) - Pays monthly stipend* directly to student

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR) - Pays monthly stipend* directly to student

Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) - Pays monthly stipend* directly to student

*Monthly stipend is not equal to the amount of tuition and mandatory fees. Stipend is only for the months enrolled in classes.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

VA certification policy:

The veteran or dependent must provide a certificate of eligibility prior to being certified. They must first be registered for courses that they are being certified. Saint Martin’s University will not pre-certify for courses in advanced; students must be registered under advisor approval.

Saint Martin’s will not participate in accelerated pay if student is using Chapter 33. The VA pays directly to the school; tuition and fees should not be reported to the VA prior to bills being assessed to ensure accuracy of tuition and fees.

If student is certified prior to proof of entitlement and registration, the student may incur debt to the VA, which will become the student’s full responsibility. The VA certifying official is responsible for reporting tuition and fees directly to the VA and must keep records as accurate as possible so the student is not liable for mistakes by the institution, VA and certifying official.

Saint Martin's is a Yellow Ribbon school and does not cap how many students can participate in the program. 

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree-granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the maximum cap of $23,671.94 and ensure the students' tuition and fees are covered at the 100% rate.

As long as you are entitled to 100%, you automatically qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program; there is no additional paperwork to participate.

Find out how to apply for financial aid.

View available scholarships here. Some of our military-affiliated scholarships include:

  • Army ROTC Scholarship

  • America's Service Hero Scholarship

  • Jennifer Jamison's Textbook Scholarship

  • Linda Fletcher Memorial Scholarship

The deadlines for adding a course, dropping a course with and without refunds, and withdrawing from a course with a grade of "W" are listed in each course schedule.

If you are using Go Army Ed, please be sure to drop your class through their system as well. 

This will send a notification to the Saint Martin's-JBLM office, and we can ensure you have been properly dropped from the course. 

View our full withdrawal policy for more information. When in doubt, please contact your advisor. 

Resources for veterans and military family members

For Lacey campus, the Center for Student Success is located in the lower level of the O'Grady Library and offers individualized coaching for writing, student success workshops, and peer tutoring in a variety of subjects. Many of these services are also available through email so be sure to check out what they have to offer.

For JBLM campus, consult advisors located at the Stone Education Center on JBLM-Main.

Where to get the pass

You can obtain an eight-week pass at the McChord or JBLM-Main visitors' center, depending on where your classes are held. Be sure to arrive at the respective location a few hours early on the first day of class. 

For McChord Education Center, use the visitors' center at McChord main gate, exit 125. For classes at Stone Education Center, use the visitors' center at JBLM-Main, exit 120.

What you'll need

  • To obtain your temporary base pass, be sure to bring:

  • Your enhanced driver's license OR passport with driver's license

  • Vehicle registration

  • Current proof of insurance

  • Saint Martin's course schedule (Go to the Self-Service finance tab, and print a student statement that shows current courses, or request a copy from a Saint Martin's-JBLM office.)

View resources for launching your post-military career

Network access is needed for university web-mail, Self-Service, and Moodle. Even one-time or part-time students need access, because official university email communication is done via Web-mail.

How to get a network account

Once you are accepted to Saint Martin's, a request will be sent to ITS to create your network account. 

Within two business days of your request, you should receive your network username at the email address you designated on your application. 

Activate your account by choosing a new network password of at least six characters (the password to begin is smu xxxx, where xxxx is the last four digits of your student ID number).

Need help logging in? 

Submit a help request to ITS, including your Saint Martin's ID number and a description of the issue. 

If the issue involves your Saint Martin's email, be sure to periodically check your alternative email. This will be the main form of communication for ITS if you cannot log in to your email. 

Saint Martin's University Bookstore

Located on Lacey campus, the Saint Martin's Bookstore has a website where you will be able to insert course information (e.g., term, section, department) to find required course materials. Please be sure to select the correct section; different sections of the same course may have different books. Download a step-by-step guide. 

SMU Textbook Program

All degree-seeking students, undergraduate and graduate, are automatically enrolled in the SMU Textbook Program, a new rental program that gives you access to all your course materials. You'll save 30-50% on the cost of the course materials each semester and get all your textbooks before the first day of classes.

Book vouchers using scholarships / Chapter 31 voc rehab

If you are planning to use scholarship or Chapter 31 vocational rehabilitation and employment funding to buy your textbooks, please register as early as possible. Once you register, we will verify your status and account balances and will forward the authorization to the Saint Martin's University Bookstore. If you have any questions, please contact the Saint Martin's Bookstore at or 360-438-4394.

Veterans Center

The Veterans Center on the Lacey campus supports all military and military-affiliated students. Find resources and community here.

Location: Harned Hall, 211 (Vet Corps Navigator's office is 211A)
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Veterans Club

Interested in getting involved on campus and connecting with fellow veterans?  Contact our advisor Dr. David Olwell and follow the Veteran's Club on Facebook!


  • Request an incomplete grade? You need to ask your instructor to complete "an incomplete grade request form", then submit the form to your advisor.

  • Request to enroll in more than nine credits in a single term? Submit completed form to your advisor.

  • Order a copy of my official Saint Martin's transcript? Submit completed transcript request form to the Registrar. SMU-JBLM offices cannot process official transcript requests, this must be done through the Office of the Registrar at the Lacey campus. 

  • Change my major? Before changing majors be sure to speak to your advisor to ensure that your intended major is offered at your home campus, Lacey or Saint Martin's-JBLM. Then, submit a completed "change major form" to your advisor.

  • Request to enroll in a main campus (Lacey) course? Submit a "request to enroll in other school form" to either of the Saint Martin's-JBLM's offices.

  • Apply for re-admission? You will need to submit a completed admission application if you have not been enrolled in Saint Martin's classes for a semester or more. If you have taken any classes at other colleges or universities during your time away from Saint Martin's you will need to submit an official transcript from that institution to earn transfer credit. 

  • Apply for graduation? Submit a graduation application to the Office of the Registrar. Be sure to communicate with your advisor to ensure you have completed all components needed to graduate. 

  • Other questions? Be sure to also check the Veterans Assistance page under the Office of Registrar for other frequently asked questions.

Key offices

Office of the Registrar

The Office of the Registrar has many roles at the University, each designed to assist students as they pursue a lifetime of learning and accomplishment. Some of these roles include: registration functions (add/drop/withdrawals), transcript processing, enrollment verifications, VA certifications, and graduation processing and diplomas.

Office of Graduate Admissions

The Office of Graduate Admissions can assist you as you consider taking that next step in your educational journey. Saint Martin's University offers master's programs in accounting, business, computer science, counseling, education, and several engineering fields as well as a doctorate program in leadership. We also offer post-baccalaureate certificate programs to advance your career. Our counselors will guide you through the application process, find the resources and information you need, and make sure you feel at home on campus.

Saint Martin's-JBLM

The Saint Martin's University-Joint Base Lewis-McChord Campus is committed to providing life-long learning opportunities to busy adults in our local communities. Currently we serve a community of non-traditional students on Joint Base Lewis-McChord, with offices at JBLM-Main's Stone Education Center and McChord Field's Education Center.