Master of Science in Environmental Engineering
The Master of Science in Environmental Engineering (MSEV) program at Saint Martin’s University prepares graduates to develop sustainable solutions to complex environmental problems by exploring such areas as: wastewater treatment, solid waste management systems, air and water purification, and environmental protection issues.
Why Saint Martin's University?
The MSEV curriculum is adaptable to both seniors, recent graduates and engineers with professional experience. Graduates will emerge with enhanced engineering analysis and design skills tailored to their professional environmental objectives.
Additional benefits include:
- Faculty with real-world experience in subjects taught
- Classes held in Cebula Hall - most environmentally friendly and energy efficient building with LEED Platinum Certification in Western Hemisphere
- Labs held in the Panowicz Foundry for Innovation (built in 2016)
- Classes offered in late afternoon or evening to meet working professionals' needs
- Classes generally scheduled to allow students to complete program in two to three year period by taking two classes per semester
The MSEV program offers many program arrangements, including the following:
- Five-year BSCE + MSCE program
- Two-year program
- Culminating Master’s project or thesis route
The MSEV at Saint Martin’s offers many different opportunities for research and internships, including opportunities with different cities, counties and state agencies.
Potential internship and research agencies include:
- Washington State Department of
- Fish and Wildlife
- Natural Resources
- Thurston and Pierce counties
- LOTT Clean Water Alliance
- Lacey, Olympia, Lakewood and Tacoma engineering departments
Master of Science in Environmental Engineering Requirements
More details can be found in the graduate academic catalog.
- MSEV 581: Environmental Measurements (3)
- MSEV 582: Physicochemical Water and Wastewater Treatment (3)
- MSEV 583: Biochemical Wastewater Treatment (3)
- MSEV 602: Master's Research, Thesis (3) -OR- MSEV 600: Master's Special Problems (1-3)
- MSEV 603: Master's Oral Exam (1)
Thesis option (18 credit hours)
Non-thesis option (21 credit hours)
For both, choose from:
- MSCE 580: Environmental Laboratory Processes (3)
- MSEV 584: Air Quality Management (3)
- MSEV 585: Hazardous Waste Engineering (3)
- MSEV 586: Environmental Microbiology (3)
- MSCE 570: Solid Waste Engineering (3)
- MSCE 585: Wastewater Systems Design (3)
- MSCE 596: Industrial Waste Engineering (3)
- MSCE 612: Project Management (3)
- MSCE 680: Environmental Engineering (3)
Graduate students can pursue jointly, an MSEV and a Master of Engineering Management (MEM) degree at Saint Martin’s. The student needs to be accepted into both programs. Up to 12 credits of cross-listed or approved courses may be applied to both degrees.
Master of Science in Environmental Engineering at a Glance
- Program Type
- 4+1 Accelerated
- Master’s Degree
- Main (Lacey)
- Type of Instruction
- In Person