Liz Nutter, DNP, CNM, FACNM
Liz Nutter served in the United States Army and retired in 2021 as a Lieutenant Colonel. She is a proven nursing leader with more than 20 of nursing and healthcare leadership experience. She is a board-Certified Nurse Midwife and is recognized as a national expert in waterbirth and hydrotherapy evidence-based practice. She was the Director of the United States Army’s Obstetrics and Gynecology Post-bachelorette Nursing Program from 2014-2017. Her last military assignment was at Madigan Army Medical Center where she served as the Chief Midwife.
She graduated from University of Portland with a BSN in 2021, an MSN from Radford University with a certificate in Midwifery from Shenandoah University in 2009. She earned her Doctor of Nursing Practice degree at Frontier Nursing University in 2014. She was named a fellow in the American College of Nurse Midwives in 2020 and was the United States Army Surgeon Generals Consultant for Women’s Health Nursing from 2017-2020.
- Nutter, E. (2018). Support for women during labor. In R. King., M. Brucker., K. Osborne., & C. Jevitt (Eds.), Varney’s midwifery (pp. 51-985). Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Nutter, E., Shaw-Batisita, J. (2016). The midwife as catalyst: Promoting institutional change and hydrotherapy to facilitate physiological childbirth. In B. Anderson & S. Stone (Eds.), Best practice in midwifery: Using the evidence to implement change (pp. 429-446). Springer.
- Nutter, E. (2016). Decreasing vulnerability in birth: Waterbirth in military treatment facilities. In M. DeChesnay, & B. Anderson (Eds.), Caring for the vulnerable, (pp.253-262). Jones and Bartlett.
- Kane-Lowe, L., & Nutter, E. (Eds). (2017). A Model Practice Template for Hydrotherapy in Labor and Birth. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, 62(1):120-126. doi” 10.111/jmwh.12587
- Munroe, M., & Nutter, E. (2016). Hydrotherapy during the First Stage of Labor. Army Medical Command Policy Memo 16-004.
- Nutter, E. Meyer S., Shaw-Battista J., Marowitz A. (2014). Waterbirth: An Integrative Analysis of Peer-Reviewed Literature. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, 59(3): 286-319. doi:10.111/jmwh.12194
- Nutter, E., Shaw-Battista J., Marowitz A. (2014). Waterbirth Fundamentals for Clinicians. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health, 59(3), 350-354. doi:10.111/jmwh.12193
- Nutter, E. (2013). Hydrotherapy and childbirth: An evidence-based protocol to guide waterbirth in Army hospitals. [Doctoral capstone, Frontier Nursing University]. Frontier Campus Repository. https://frontier.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/dc/id/105/rec/1
- Fellow American College of Nurse-Midwives 2020
- Order of Military Medical Merit United States Army 2019
- US Army Surgeon General 9A Designator 2019
- Kitty Ernst Award American College of Nurse Midwives 2016
- Evangeline G. Bovard Award 2013
- DAISY Nursing Excellence Award 2012