Photo of Old Main

Applying for aid

Applying for financial aid is the first step to funding your education. From federal and state aid to private scholarships or loans, we encourage you to apply for the financial aid options available to you.

Where to begin?

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), for federal financial aid, if you are a US citizen, undergraduate, graduate or eligible non-citizen. 

  • Complete the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA), for federal financial aid, if you are a Hope, DREAMER Act and or DACA

  • If you are military, veteran or a dependent, start by apply for VA benefits.

  • If you are international, start by applying for scholarships.

WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid)

If you are a Hope/DREAM Act and/or DACA students, you may apply for a Washington State Need Grant through the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) -- a free application for non-citizens who wish to apply for financial aid in the state of Washington. Applications open Jan 1.  Learn more about the WASFA.

File your WASFA application

VA benefits

As a former or active duty service member or military family member, your road to financial aid begins by applying for your VA benefits with eBenefits.

Apply for VA benefits

(Complete details on applying for benefits and admission to Saint Martin's are available through our Military and Military-Affiliated webpage.)

Scholarships and private assistance

If you are eligible for federal or state aid, your first step is to file either a FAFSA or WASFA.

If you do not qualify for federal or state aid, explore institutional and private scholarships and awards based on your student status or program.

Explore scholarships and private assistance

For questions about scholarships and private assistance email the Office of Financial Aid, call 360-688-2150 or visit our offices in Old Main, 250.

Private student loans

To apply for a private loan, your first step is to identify the lender you would like to apply for a loan through. Saint Martin's University does not have a preferred lender list, but we do offer a historical lenders list of frequently used lenders in the past. Please visit Student Financial Services in Old Main, room 230.

For help identifying a private lender, students can go to: SMU FastChoice

The FASTChoice site provides students with a resource to compare interest rates, fees, and other loan incentives between lenders. Please note: Student Financial Services will certify a private educational loan from any lender, regardless if their lender is featured on the FASTChoice site.

Learn more about private student loans

Student employment

Our student employees are a vital part of the our community! If you are eligible for federal or state work study or are looking for non-work study (student labor) employment review our work study and student employment information.

Learn more

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

To be considered for federal financial aid you must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are required to complete a FAFSA application each year to be considered for financial aid eligibility. A few things to remember:

Complete the application online using the University's school code 003794

The application is available online beginning Oct. 1 of the preceding year

Saint Martin's priority deadline is Jan. 1*

In order to submit your FAFSA application, you will need to create an FSA User ID. To create a FSA User ID please visit the FSA ID website.

File your FAFSA application

*If the student and/or parents have not yet completed their current years tax returns, the income information can be estimated on the FAFSA application to meet the priority deadline. However, once their taxes have been completed the student and/or parent will need to go back on to the FAFSA application and use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.

  1. What does FAFSA stand for? Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You can apply online after October 1 at Students, who are not applying for federal funds must submit a FAFSA non-filer form to the Student Financial Services Office.

  2. Does Saint Martin's University have a priority funding FAFSA deadline? The priority deadline is January 1.

  3. What is our school code? What is our 8-digit school code? School code: 003794

  4. Why are you asking for tax info, etc...? Federal regulations require that if you have been selected for verification that we certify your household size, earnings, etc; to ensure proper calculation of your financial aid eligibility.

  5. What is the difference between merit based aid and need based aid? Merit based aid is eligibility based on a student's academic credentials. Need based aid is eligibility based on financial need (determined from FAFSA).

  6. How do I determine if I have need? To determine need you take the cost of attendance (COA-determined by the university) subtract your estimated family contribution (EFC-from the FAFSA), the total is your need.

  7. Should I pay for a scholarship search? Never pay for a scholarship search. There are many free websites that offer great information on scholarships available for all levels of education. You can find other scholarship search sites at our website. 

  8. How much in institutional scholarships does Saint Martin's award each year? In 2016, Saint Martin's gave more than $17 million of its own money in the form of grants and scholarships to its students, thanks to our generous scholarship donors. With few exceptions, students who apply for financial aid at Saint Martin's automatically become eligible for any Saint Martin's University scholarship whose criteria they meet. For more information go to the scholarships and grants pages.

  9. What is considered to be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and how could it affect my financial aid? Student Financial Services is required to monitor the SAP for all students, receiving aid or not. The process is separate from the academic progress that is monitored by the Academic Standards Committee. 

New students must be admitted to the university and have completed their FAFSA application in order to receive an award letter. Please note: if the student is required to submit additional documentation to the Office of Financial Aid to verify information on their FAFSA, their original award letter may change.

The Office of Financial Aid begins distributing financial aid award letters mid November.

After reviewing your financial aid award letter, if you need assistance or wish to decline any part of the award, please email the Office of Financial Aid at

Continuing students will need to complete the FAFSA application and submit all requested documentation by the Office of Financial Aid before an award letter will be prepared for them. The Office of Financial Aid strives to distribute award letters to continuing students beginning in Mid-April.

Questions? We're here to help!

Explore Applying for aid