Housing is generally available for all students who request it. For information on current availability contact us at 360-412-6163 or housing@stmartin.edu.

Residency requirements

Students studying in dorm

Undergraduate students

All single undergraduate students are required to live on campus while enrolled for classes at Saint Martin’s University unless they have:

  • Reached junior status (60 semester or 90 quarter credits) of approved university credit, which does not include Running Start credits prior to registration for fall or spring semester classes;
  • Have attained an associates degree, or completed two full years of education at college or university level;
  • Are twenty one years of age or older on or before the last official day of registration for the fall semester;
  • Are residing at home within 30 miles of Saint Martin's University with parent(s) or legal guardian(s);
  • Have lived in a university residence hall for four or more complete semesters;
  • Are married or a parent;
  • Are taking eight or fewer credit hours during the semester in question.
International students at new student BBQ

Single undergraduate international students

Regardless of age or class standing, single undergraduate international students, including English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) students, are required to live on-campus for a minimum of two consecutive semesters unless the student:

  • Is living with a prearranged host family for the duration of his/her stay
  • Has received a letter of permission from his/her country's embassy
  • Has attended a community college or university in the United States for at least one complete quarter or semester
  • Will be 23 years of age or older on or before the last official day of registration for the semester

Requesting an exemption

Housing requirements are a condition of enrollment which must be met throughout the academic year and includes both fall and spring semesters. Students seeking an exemption based on their respective criteria must complete an exemption request form and supply supporting documentation in order to receive approval from Housing and Residence Life before making off-campus living arrangements.

All single undergraduates who do not qualify to live off-campus according to the provisions stated above must reside in a University residence hall or present evidence that an exception to the policy has been granted. Failure to maintain the required residency may result in the assessment of housing charges and fees and/or an administrative withdrawal by the Dean of Student Affairs. Any attempt to falsify one's status may result in disciplinary action and the implementation of appropriate sanctions by the Dean of Student Affairs or her/his designee.

Complete an exemption request »

Exterior Spangler Hall


Apartments house students who are at least 21 years old on or before the last official day of registration for the semester or have completed at least 60 semester or 90 quarter credit hours (not including Running Start or AP credits), or if the student has lived in a university residence hall for four or more complete semesters.

Meal plans and meal plan requirements

Meal plans are available through our dining partner, Bon Appètit Management Company. Students may be required to purchase meal plans based on their residency status.

Learn more about meal plans and meal plan requirements »

Policy and procedure

Students may not occupy or leave personal belongings in any student room or hall before the time the halls are scheduled to open unless they are participating in a university-scheduled program, have prior approval from the Director of Housing and Residence Life, and pay an additional fee. The university will not be responsible for any property left in the residence hall at the time of checkout.

For complete details, review the Student Handbook »

Moving in

The date and time of the opening of the residence halls/apartments will be announced prior to each academic year. Please refer to the academic calendar for details.

Students moving into the residence halls

To move in to the residence halls, you must:

  1. Complete and submit a signed housing contract
  2. Pay a $200 damage deposit at the Student Financial Services Center (Old Main, room 230) and submit a copy of the payment receipt
  3. Complete and submit a student medical information form
  4. Sign and submit a room condition report upon your arrival to the residence halls

New students

If you are a new student, visit our admitted students next steps to walk through your new student enrollment completion process.