Saint Martin’s Abbey recently began its second century of monastic life in Western Washington. The monks’ involvement in pastoral work actually began in 1891 at Tacoma’s newly established Holy Rosary Parish. At the request of German-speaking Catholics, Saint John’s Abbey, of Collegeville, Minnesota, sent Fr. William Eversmann, O.S.B. to be pastor of the new parish. Within a few years the Benedictines of Minnesota sent enough monks to found a new monastery and school about 50 miles south of Seattle in what was to become Lacey, Washington.
For more information, visit the Saint Martin's Abbey website: