Working in the United States

Yes. Students may work on-campus only, unless they are approved for OPT or CPT. Students must also maintain full-time student status, so students should not work more than 20 hours per week (except during summer vacation). Students wanting to work must get a Social Security number in order to get paid for their work.

Students who would like a social security number must fill out an SS-5 Form and bring the completed form, along with a written offer of employment, current I-20, visa, and passport to the nearest Social Security Administration (SSA) office. Address and directions to the Olympia SSA office are available.

Optional practical training (OPT) is an option for international students to gain practical on-the-job experience by being employed in jobs related to their field of study after completing at least one year of studies in the U.S.

Curricular practical training (CPT) is for students whose program of study requires them to be employed or in a paid internship.

Yes, but only if you are authorized for CPT. Please check with the International student advisor and admissions counselor before getting an internship or becoming employed.

CPT is for students who are required by their program to engage in an internship or work-study.

OPT is available to all students who have completed at least one full academic year and are still in good student status.

Students can apply as early as 90 days before the date of their requested OPT start date. Most students choose to take OPT after they have completed their studies, so it is best to apply 90 days before graduation.

Only students in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics field of study are eligible for the STEM OPT extension.

On-campus contacts

Please contact the office of Housing and Residence Life at 360-412-6163.

If you find something in your room is broken or or not working, contact housing as soon as possible. You can also fill out a facilities work order form online to let facilities know there is something in your room that needs to be fixed.

Depending on how sick you feel, you may want to check in at the on-campus student health center or one of the local walk-in clinics before you go to the hospital. It is not recommended that students experiencing cold, flu, or allergy symptoms check in to the hospital.

Transportation and travel

Students can apply for a driver’s license after they have arrived in the US and have found a place to live. More information can be found on the Washington State Department of Licensing website.

No. Immigration regulations prohibit students arriving in the U.S. more than 30 days before the program start date indicated on their I-20.

Intercity Transit provides an excellent public bus system with transfers available to Pierce Transit and King County Metro for travel to Tacoma and Seattle. You can find schedules and more on Intercity Transit’s website.

Please stop by and check in with the International student advisor and admissions counselor before you leave the country. In addition to endorsing the third page of your I-20, it is helpful that we are informed of your travel plans. Also, some countries may require you to obtain a tourist visa before you visit. Always check the entry requirements of the country you are entering before you travel.

Please check in with the International student advisor and admissions counselor before you travel and ensure you have all supporting documents with you at all times to verify you are legally in the country if an issue arises. These documents include:

  • Passport
  • I-20
  • Copy of current transcript
  • Letter of student verification from ISS or your academic advisor


Accepted methods of tuition payments are as follows:

  • Money order
  • Personal check
  • Cashier’s check
  • Credit card (2.5% convenience fee)
  • Online payment via Self-Service (Visa or American Express credit cards only)

Tuition and all fees are due before the first day of class. If you are having trouble paying your account or need more time before you can pay, please notify the office of student accounts immediately.

Health insurance

All students must have Saint Martin’s University health insurance. There may be some exceptions so please talk to the International student advisor and admissions counselor.

Visas and immunizations

Please schedule an appointment with the International student advisor and admissions counselor as soon as possible about getting a program extension. You can find more out about the program extension process.

As long as your I-20 has not expired and you remain a full-time student, you are still legally allowed to remain in the U.S. even if your visa has expired. If you are planning to leave the country and return in the near future, you will need to renew your visa before you can re-enter the country. For more information about this process, please schedule an appointment with the International student advisor and admissions counselor.

Students can renew their visas by returning to their home country and scheduling a new visa interview with their nearest US embassy or consulate. If you are planning to renew your visa in the near future, it is recommended that you fill out a visa renewal request form to request a letter of support from the International student advisor and admissions counselor.

While in the past, students have sometimes been able to renew their visas in Canada, it is strongly advised against.

Only some procedures can be done once you arrive. Students should aim to receive all immunization procedures in their home country before travelling.

Yes. If you have forgotten your proof of immunization and have no way of getting it (faxed/mailed from family at home, etc.), then you will have to be tested or receive shots again.