Damage deposit: A refundable $200 damage deposit must be on file with the Student Financial Services Center prior to the issuance of keys to the room.


Students who are interested in canceling their housing contract or being exempt from on-campus housing must complete a Housing Exemption Request. If the student is a current resident, he or she must also complete a Not Returning Form.


If the student withdraws for reasons of serious accident or extended illness, a refund of remaining room charges may be made. Additional exceptions to room charges for those leaving the university may be recommended to the Student Financial Services Center by the director of Housing and Residence Life.

Meal plan cancellation

Students leaving housing are responsible for cancelling their meal plans in the Student Financial Services Center, and board charges will be assessed at a daily rate and prorated based on the number of days remaining in the semester.

Conditions for non-refund
  • A student who moves off campus without the approval of the Office of Housing and Residence Life before the end of contract period is responsible for the room payment for that period.
  • A student approved to withdraw from housing before the add/drop deadline will forfeit his/her damage deposit and be prorated for the number of days in residence.
  • Students who withdraw from the university or leave housing after the 30th day of the semester receive no refund.
Cancellation fee

A student who withdraws from housing after add/drop but within the first 30 days of the semester will be charged a $300 cancellation fee, forfeit his/her deposit, and be prorated for the number of days in residence.


Damage deposit refunds may be requested only by submitting the damage deposit refund request form.

The deposit will be refunded if:

  • The resident follows the check-out policy outlined in the student handbook.
  • Room keys are properly checked in with the Office of Housing and Residence Life.
  • No damages or excess cleaning charges are associated with the room upon check-out.
  • The resident does not have an outstanding balance on his/her account with the university.
  • The student fulfills the housing contract terms of residence and does not cancel his/her reservation more than 30 days from the date it is signed or after August 1.

No portion of the $200 deposit will be refunded if the application is:

  • Canceled more than 30 days from the date it is submitted
  • After August 1, regardless of the date submitted
  • Requested more than 30 days after officially checking out of the halls

A resident who does not check out in accordance with the procedures described in the Student Handbook and Housing and Residence Life bulletins and correspondence will be subject to fines and/or forfeiture of all or part of his/her deposit.

Students playing games in residence hall

Automatic carry-over

After taking occupancy, if the applicant stays the entire contract period and applies to return to the residence halls the following academic year, his/her damage deposit will automatically be carried over to the following academic year.