If you need assistance during business hours please call the counseling center's confidential front desk at 360-412-6123. During nights, weekends and closures contact the Office of Public Safety.

If you have a mental health emergency, contact The Crisis Clinic or proceed directly to St. Peter’s ER.

Emergency service Phone
Crisis Clinic, Thurston County
24-hour emergency services when harm to self or others is concerned, offers 24-hour mental health counseling support, resources and referrals for general domestic violence, sexual assault, and chemical dependency services.
Office of Public Safety (SMU)
Campus Security exists to insure the health and welfare of the community and provide a safe environment for all faculty, staff and students. 24-Hour/7 days a week.
Office of Student Affairs (SMU)
Saint Martin’s University is committed to the internal resolution of disputes arising between members of the university community. The university encourages its community members to resolve their disputes at the earliest and most informal stage (e.g., by talking directly with one another, through facilitated conversation, and/or through conflict mediation). When informal resolution is not possible, every member of the university community has the right to file a grievance and have it addressed fairly.
Crisis Response Team (Behavioral Health Resources)
A 24-hour telephone and face-to-face outreach for mental health emergencies, providing services ranging from crisis intervention to involuntary detention.
Safeplace (Olympia)
Provides free and confidential services to people who have experienced all forms of domestic and sexual violence and abuse. 24-Hour/7 days a week.
Suicide Prevention Lifeline
No matter what problems you are dealing with, the Suicide Prevention Lifeline wants to help you find a reason to keep living. By calling (800) 273-TALK (8255) you’ll be connected to a skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center in your area, anytime 24/7.
Peace in the Home Helpline
Support for non-English speaking women (14 languages) experiencing physical, sexual or psychological abuse.

Emergency protocols

  • Harassment and discrimination

    Understanding harassment

    Sexual harassment is prohibited based on federal law-Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and Washington State Law - RCW 9A.36.080- Malicious Harassment.

    For students and employees (male and female): sexual harassment is unwanted and unwelcome behavior of a sexual nature which interferes with a student’s or employee’s right to learn, study, work, achieve, or participate in university activities in a comfortable and supportive atmosphere. You have a right to participate in all university, classroom and internship activities in an atmosphere free from sexual harassment. You have a responsibility not to engage in sexual behaviors that are unwelcome or offensive to others.

    Examples of sexual harassment include: unwelcome sexual advances, suggestive or lewd remarks, unwanted hugs, touches, kisses; requests for sexual favors; retaliation for complaining about sexual harassment, derogatory or pornographic posters, cartoons or drawings, Sexual harassment includes sexual violence. Sexual violence includes rape, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, sexual battery, and sexual coercion.

    If you have questions or believe that you or others are being harassed, contact:

    Cynthia Johnson
    Director of Human Resources and Title IX Coordinator
    Old Main Bldg., Room 221

    Melanie Richardson
    Dean of Student Affairs
    Old Main Bldg., Room 206

    William Stakelin
    Director of Public Safety
    Old Main Bldg., Room 251

    You may also contact the following:

    The Washington State Human Rights Commission
    711 S. Capitol Way, Suite 402
    PO Box 42490 Olympia WA 98504-2490
    Telephone: 360-753-6770, TDD: 1-800-300-7525

    Office for Civil Rights
    U.S. Department of Education
    915 2nd Avenue, Room 3310
    Seattle, WA 98174-1099
    Telephone: 206-220-7900, TDD: 206-220-7907

    Filing complaints can also be done electronically through the OCR electronic complaint form. The site offers information on how OCR handles complaints and it answers most of your questions about the complaint process.   

    Sexual harassment is not limited to prohibited behavior by a male toward a female, or by a supervisory employee toward a non-supervisory employee, a faculty to a student or a non-employee to a student. The victim does not have to be the opposite sex of the harasser. Harassment may be student to student, student to staff, staff to student faculty to student, student to faculty, faculty to faculty, staff to staff, or a non-employee to student. The gender of the complainant and/or the alleged harasser is irrelevant, even if they are of the same gender. Sexual harassment based on sexual orientation or gender identity is also prohibited under State Law.

    What should I do if I believe I am being sexually harassed?

    • Review Saint Martin’s University’s policy and procedures for handling sexual harassment issues. Follow those procedures.
    • Take action and get help when needed. Ignoring sexual harassment is not an effective way to stop it.
    • Whenever possible, tell the harasser verbally or in writhing what the specific behaviors are that you find offensive. Ask him or her to stop.
    • Report the offensive behaviors to a faculty member, counselor, Title IX coordinator, or university administrators.
    • Keep a detailed record of the harassing behavior to share with university officials who investigate your complaint.
    • If not satisfied with the resolution of your concerns, contact one of the appropriate organizations listed.

    The victim does not have to be the person at whom the unwelcome sexual conduct is directed; the victim may be someone who is a witness to and personally offended by such conduct although directed toward another. Sexual harassment is unwelcome conduct that is personally offensive, lowers morale and interferes with educational performances. This unwelcomed sexual behavior is defined from the perspective of the victim, not the harasser.

    For questions or consultations, you can visit the Counseling and Wellness Center.

    Other off campus resources

    If you don’t feel comfortable talking to someone face to face you can use any of the following services over the phone:

    The Crisis Clinic, 360-586-2800 (information/referral to community resources)
    St. Peter Hospital, 360-491-9480
    Safe Place ( rape, relief/women’s shelter), 360-754-6300
    Domestic Violence Hotline, 1-800-562-6025

    Stalking is another aspect of harassment. Information on technology safety and cyber stalking provides further help, resources and information on this issue.

    General information on discrimination

    Additional resources and information on discrimination is available through the Office for Civil Rights. The OCR describes their mission and the population they serve. Specifically, they state that they: "…serve student populations facing discrimination and the advocates and institutions promoting systemic solutions to civil rights problems. An important responsibility is resolving complaints of discrimination. Agency-initiated cases, typically called compliance reviews, permit OCR to target resources on compliance problems that appear particularly acute. OCR also provides technical assistance to help institutions achieve voluntary compliance with the civil rights laws that OCR enforces. An important part of OCR's technical assistance is partnerships designed to develop creative approaches to preventing and addressing discrimination."

    Saint Martin's University's non-discrimination statement

    The principles of the Catholic Benedictine tradition, equal employment opportunity, and nondiscrimination are fundamental to the mission, goals, and objectives of Saint Martin’s University (SMU). SMU does not discriminate on the basis of sex or disability in educational or employment programs. Such non-discrimination is required by Title IX as implemented.

  • Suicide protocol
    Suicidal behaviors

    Suicidal behaviors are normally observed to be correlated to chronic and clinical depression as well as "complicated grief". Its sheer complexity and sensitivity as well as its critical nature require mental health professional consultations and assessment; it may at times entail law enforcement, legal/court, campus public safety (and at times, school administration) intervention and involvement.

    Reporting suicidal behaviors offers more information on where to get consultation, who to consult and examples of warning signs that can benefit from a consultation and a timely and appropriate intervention.

    When is it an appropriate time to seek professional help and consultation?

    For symptoms of clinical depression: If you notice any (or all) of the above symptoms for depression persisting for more than a week or two, and is now starting to interfere with your ability to function, feel free to call your physician, or the counseling center at 360-412-6123 to consult with our counselors.

    For suicidal behaviors: One very important area of concern that requires consultations with mental health professionals involve suicidal behaviors. Refer to the reporting suicidal behaviors »