Assistant Chair of Natural Sciences Department
Associate Professor, biology
Sam Fox grew up on the Southwest coast of Oregon and later obtained a B.S. in Zoology from Oregon State University. He then conducted approximately five years of research in physiology and immunology. Needing some sunlight, he attended the University of Central Florida (Orlando, FL) for a M.S. in Biology where he conducted research in Drosophila (fruit fly) genetics and development. Having had enough sun for a while, Sam returned to Oregon State University where he received his Ph.D. in Molecular and Cellular Biology with an emphasis on plant genomics. He did post-doctoral research investigating the genomic response of plants to abiotic stress. Following this post-doctoral research, he took a one-year sabbatical replacement at Linfield College in McMinnville, OR. He has also taught at Oregon State University, Willamette University and Western Oregon University. He then accepted his position here at Saint Martin's in a beautiful setting, where he is luck to remain relatively close to his family in Oregon.
- De novo transcriptome assembly and analyses of gene expression during photomorphogenesis in diploid wheat Triticum monococcum. Fox SE, Geniza M, Hanumappa M, Naithani S, Sullivan C, Preece J, Tiwari VK, Elser J, Leonard JM, Sage A, Gresham C, Kerhornou A, Bolser D, McCarthy F, Kersey P, Lazo GR, Jaiswal P. PLoS One. 2014 May 12;9(5):e96855
- Analysis of global gene expression in Brachypodium distachyon reveals extensive network plasticity in response to abiotic stress. Priest, HD, Fox SE, Rowley ER, Murray JR, Michael TP, Mockler TC. PLoS One. 2014 Jan 29;9(1):e87499. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0087499. eCollection 2014.
- Sequencing and characterization of the anadromous steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) transcriptome.
Fox SE, Christie MR, Marine M, Priest HD, Mockler TC, Blouin MS. Mar Genomics. 2014 Jun;15:13-5. doi: 10.1016/j.margen.2013.12.001. Epub 2014 Jan 17.
- Parallel analysis of RNA ends enhances global investigation of microRNAs and target RNAs of Brachypodium distachyon.
Jeong DH, Schmidt SA, Rymarquis LA, Park S, Ganssmann M, German MA, Accerbi M, Zhai J, Fahlgren N, Fox SE, Garvin DF, Mockler TC, Carrington JC, Meyers BC, Green PJ. Genome Biol. 2013 Dec 24;14(12):R145. doi: 10.1186/gb-2013-14-12-r145.
- The Burmese python genome reveals the molecular basis for extreme adaptation in snakes.
Castoe TA, de Koning AP, Hall KT, Card DC, Schield DR, Fujita MK, Ruggiero RP, Degner JF, Daza JM, Gu W, Reyes-Velasco J, Shaney KJ, Castoe JM, Fox SE, et al. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Dec 17;110(51):20645-50. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1314475110. Epub 2013 Dec 2.
- Sequencing and de novo transcriptome assembly of Brachypodium sylvaticum (Poaceae).
Fox SE, Preece J, Kimbrel JA, Marchini GL, Sage A, Youens-Clark K, Cruzan MB, Jaiswal P. Appl Plant Sci. 2013 Mar 5;1(3). pii: apps.1200011. doi: 10.3732/apps.1200011. eCollection 2013 Mar.
- GENE-counter: a computational pipeline for the analysis of RNA-Seq data for gene expression differences.
Cumbie JS, Kimbrel JA, Di Y, Schafer DW, Wilhelm LJ, Fox SE, et al. PLoS One. 2011;6(10):e25279. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0025279. Epub 2011 Oct 6.
- A multi-organ transcriptome resource for the Burmese Python (Python molurus bivittatus).
Castoe TA, Fox SE, Jason de Koning A, Poole AW, Daza JM, Smith EN, Mockler TC, Secor SM, Pollock DD. BMC Res Notes. 2011 Aug 25;4:310. doi: 10.1186/1756-0500-4-310.
- Fox SE, Filichkin, S, Mockler TC. Applications of ultra-high throughput sequencing. Book Chapter; Methods in Molecular Biology: Plant Systems Biology. 553:79-108. 2009.
"My wife and I have 5 terrific children including a 6 year old boy and 4 year old girlâ€¦in addition to our newest additions: 3 lovely little triplet girls (born September, 2014). Needless to say, we are very busy at home. Other less notable accomplishments include: running (jogging) 10 marathons, becoming an advanced rescue scuba diver, and getting my private pilot certificate in 2000."
Areas of interest (professional / personal)
Trail running, flying small airplanes, camping, and visiting with family.