Veterans assistance

Saint Martin's is committed to providing the best possible service to military students, veterans and their families. An an approved institution for the education and training of veterans, Saint Martin's has been designated a military friendly school and continues to be recognized every year for our service to the military community. 

Veterans Representative

The veteran's representative is located in the Registrar’s Office, room 245, and is available to answer any question you may have regarding the process of applying, understanding your benefits, and certification.

The VA Rep is not an academic advisor, however academic decisions may impact your educational benefits, so we’ll help you with this decision making process. Prior to registration you will need to meet with your advisor to make sure you are registering for the proper classes, meeting degree requirements and making progress towards graduation.

The veteran’s representative is not an employee of the Department of Veterans Administration (VA). The university cannot override VA policies or determine VA Eligibility, nor does the university control the issuance of VA educational benefits. If you have direct questions regarding the processing of your paperwork through the regional office please contact 1-888-442-4551.

To contact the Saint Martin's VA Representative please call 360-438-4356 or email

The Yellow Ribbon Program

Saint Martin's is a Yellow Ribbon school and does not cap how many students can participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the maximum cap of $19,198.31 and ensure the students tuition and fees are covered at the 100% rate.

As long as you are entitled to 100% you automatically qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program, there is no additional paperwork to participate. Saint Martin's does not cap for Yellow Ribbon participants, and when certified for 100% you will automatically be certified for Yellow Ribbon.

Saint Martin's Veterans Certification Policy

For veterans certification the veteran or dependent must provide a certificate of eligibility prior to being certified. They must first be registered for courses that they are being certified. Saint Martin’s University will not pre-certify for courses in advanced, students must be registered under advisor approval. Saint Martin’s will not participate in accelerated pay if student is using Chapter 33. The VA pays directly to the school, tuition and fees should not be reported to the VA prior to bills being assessed to ensure accuracy of tuition and fees. If student is certified prior to proof of entitlement and registration the student may incur debt to the VA, which will become the student’s responsibility not the institution. The VA certifying official is responsible for reporting tuition and fees directly to the VA and must keep records as accurate as possible so the student is not liable for mistakes by the institution, VA and certifying official.

In compliance with PL115-407, no Saint Martin's University students will be monetarily or academically penalized due to late VA payments. VA payments are defined as money received by the institution to be paid toward a student’s tuition and eligible fees.

Veteran Resources

Veterans Center
Harned Hall 211
8 a.m.-8 p.m.

Veterans Club
David Olwell, P.h.D.
Follow on Facebook

Vet Corp Navigator
Harned Hall 211A

Veteran's representative
Ronda Vandergriff
Office of the Registrar 
Old Main 245
Phone: 360-438-4356

Explore Veterans assistance

Getting Started

To receive VA benefits, you must follow the steps below. 

Turn in your Saint Martin's application

The VA requires up to 30-45 days to process any paperwork submitted to them. Once eligibility and rate of percentage has been determined, a certificate of eligibility (COE) is mailed to your home address.

Once the COE is received the veteran must provide a copy of the COE to the Registrar’s Office. Dependents approved to utilize benefits must also apply for benefits online through the VA website. The dependent will receive notification of the transfer approval. Go to If you are a transfer student and have used your benefits at your prior institution, you need to provide a copy of the COE and fill out the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (22-5495). COE’s may be obtained through your prior institutions veterans representative. Change of Program or Place of Training is available in the Registrar’s Office or on the VA website.

Once registered complete the SMU Request for Certification Form and submit it to the Veteran’s Representative. This is the only way the VA Rep will know you are planning to attend SMU and that you want to use your benefits. After completing the Request for Certification Form you will be certified electronically by the VA Rep to the VA.