[needs image, eSLKickball.jpg]

Working in the United States

  • Am I allowed to work while I am in the United States?

    Yes. Students may work on-campus only, unless they are approved for OPT or CPT. Students must also maintain full-time student status, so students should not work more than 20 hours per week (except during summer vacation). Students wanting to work must get a Social Security number in order to get paid for their work.

  • What is OPT? CPT?

    Optional practical training (OPT) is an option for international students to gain practical on-the-job experience by being employed in jobs related to their field of study after completing at least one year of studies in the U.S.

    Curricular practical training (CPT) is for students whose program of study requires them to be employed or in a paid internship.

  • Can I work off-campus as an intern?

    Yes, but only if you are authorized for CPT. Please check with the International student advisor and admissions counselor before getting an internship or becoming employed.

  • What is the difference between OPT and CPT?

    ·         CPT is for students who are required by their program to engage in an internship or work-study.

    ·         OPT is available to all students who have completed at least one full academic year and are still in good student status.


  • How soon can I apply for OPT?

    Students can apply as early as 90 days before the date of their requested OPT start date. Most students choose to take OPT after they have completed their studies, so it is best to apply 90 days before graduation.

  • Who is eligible for STEM OPT?

    Only students in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics field of study are eligible for the STEM OPT extension.

On-campus contacts

Transportation and travel

  • I want to travel to Canada or another country during a semester break. What do I need to do?

    Please stop by and check in with the International student advisor and admissions counselor before you leave the country. In addition to endorsing the third page of your I-20, it is helpful that we are informed of your travel plans. Also, some countries may require you to obtain a tourist visa before you visit. Always check the entry requirements of the country you are entering before you travel.

  • What about traveling to another state or city within the U.S.?

    Please check in with the International student advisor and admissions counselor before you travel and ensure you have all supporting documents with you at all times to verify you are legally in the country if an issue arises. These documents include:

    ·         Passport

    ·         I-20

    ·         Copy of current transcript

    ·         Letter of student verification from ISS or your academic advisor


  • How can I pay tuition?

    Accepted methods of tuition payments are as follows:

    ·         Money order

    ·         Personal check

    ·         Cashier’s check

    ·         Credit card (2.5% convenience fee)

    ·         Online payment via Self-Service (Visa or American Express credit cards only)

  • When is tuition due?

    Tuition and all fees are due before the first day of class. If you are having trouble paying your account or need more time before you can pay, please notify the office of student accounts immediately.

Health insurance

Visas and immunizations

  • My visa is about to expire, but I still have time left on my program. What do I do?

    As long as your I-20 has not expired and you remain a full-time student, you are still legally allowed to remain in the U.S. even if your visa has expired. If you are planning to leave the country and return in the near future, you will need to renew your visa before you can re-enter the country. For more information about this process, please schedule an appointment with the International student advisor and admissions counselor.

  • How can I renew my visa?

    Students can renew their visas by returning to their home country and scheduling a new visa interview with their nearest US embassy or consulate. If you are planning to renew your visa in the near future, it is recommended that you fill out a visa renewal request form to request a letter of support from the International student advisor and admissions counselor.