OIPD will help you with student life at SMU by working with the Office of Admissions and the Office of Housing and Residence Life to get you started. We will pick you up at the airport and provide orientation when you arrive. Through your whole stay here at Saint Martin's, OIPD will provide academic and personal advising and assist you with medical insurance and immigration compliance.
Our staff has fun events through the year to help international students explore American culture and share their culture with the Saint Martin's University community.
English Proficiency and the TOEFL exam
International students are required to have a certain level of English ability before they are allowed to take full-time graduate or undergraduate courses. For those students who do not have the required ability, see the chart below to see the common English fluency test results we accept and what score is needed for proven ability in English.
|TOEFL: Institutional-based||TOEFL: Internet- based||IELTS(Academic)||TOEIC|
|Conditional admission: Concureent status||480-524||54-70||5.0-5.5||560-699|
|Conditional admission: Full time ESL||479 or lower||4.5 or lower||4.5 or lower||559 or lower|
Meet for a couple of hours each week to talk with other students. One student has English as their first language, and the other is an international student who would like to practice their English. The two students can meet for lunch in the cafeteria, enjoy a latte at a coffee shop, or do anything else they want to do together! We have kick-off parties for the program and activities the two partners can enjoy together.
Value of the program:
- Help international students practice English
- Learn a new language
- Make new friends
- Be a cultural guide: share American culture with international students
- Learn about another country and culture
- Develop communication skills
- Go on exciting cultural activities
- Meet new people
OIPD offers many volunteer and service learning options for students.
Why should I volunteer?
- Become stronger with the English language and learn more about American culture.
- Be linked to the community.
- Your social connections can give you meaning and purpose to your life. It can also provide you support in difficult periods.
- Research also shows that volunteer activities offer more than just a social network to provide support and get rid of stress. It also provides you with a sense of purpose and contentment.
At Saint Martin's, you will not only spend time in class but outside of it, too. You can work with the community, lead a club or a program, and find new interests! What do you love to do?
Is it student government, academic or cultural clubs, varsity or intramural sports, or all of the above? At Saint Martin's, you can do it all! We also encourage community service to those outside of the Saint Martin’s community. Enjoy all that South Puget Sound and the greater Pacific Northwest has to offer, with hiking, skiing, and so much more!