As a first-generation college graduate, I earned a Bachelor of Business Administration from Western New Mexico University in 1999; an MPA with a concentration in Program Evaluation from Portland State University in 2002, a Master’s Endorsement in Public Finance from Portland State University, Hatfield School of Government in 2002, an MBA with a concentration in Finance from Marylhurst University in 2003, and a Ph.D. in Decision Sciences and Finance from Walden University in 2009.
My teaching philosophy and approach is dedicated to teaching students how to use rational, logical, systematic, science-based techniques to improve decisions that solve managerial problems and expand organizational excellence. I teach students how to formulate data driven solutions and help them develop their critical thinking skills to prepare them for the dynamic work environment. I teach students to think ethically and encourage them to challenge the status quo with the objective of contributing to positive social change.
- Geagon, Margot & Hayes, John. Evaluating Earnings Management in Financial Institutions, Management Research Journal, 1, p. 1-12, 2014
- Chris Nelson, Ph.D., Margot Salas Geagon, Ph.D., Bill Taylor, Ph.D., and Joe C de Baca. Incentivizing College Readiness: The Use of a Token Economy to Achieve GEAR UP Goals. NCCEP National Conference, Washington, D.C. July 2014.
- Margaret A. Young, Ph.D., Jean Hill, Ph.D., Margot S. Geagon, Ph.D. Ultimate Outcomes: Implementing a University-wide Integrated Assessment System. 2013 Annual Conference of the Higher Learning Commission, Chicago, April 2013.
- Margot S. Geagon, Ph.D., and Margaret A. Young, Ph.D. Introducing, Applying, and Reinforcing Outcome Assessment Activities. 2011 ACBSP National Conference, Indianapolis, IN, June, 2011
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Decision Sciences Institute (DSI)
- American Statistical Association (ASA)
- Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) Evaluator Champion
- NSF-PFI-10-581 New Mexico Highlands University-Collaborative Project Space, Evaluator, Dec. 2010.
- AmeriCorp Grant. Evaluator, NMHU, 2013 – 2014.
- NMHU GEAR UP Grant, Evaluator, October, 2014.
- NCCEP/GEAR UP Capacity Building Evaluator Workshop, Orlando, FL, Aug, 2014.
- AAUW [American Association of University Women] - Faculty Sponsor, 2010 – 2015.
- NMHU Academic Affairs – Program Review Chair: Biology, English, and Media Arts, 2014- 2015.
- Center for Teaching Excellence - Board Member, 2014 – 2016.
- NMHU Academic Affairs Graduate Appeals Committee - Chair 2012 –2015.
Areas of Interest
Research interests include financial asset pricing models; the pricing of options and other derivative securities; risk management and statistics; performance measurement and operations research techniques.