Dr. Nieto uses her scholarship and her experience as a psychotherapist to prepare students in the Master of Arts in Counseling for their future in the helping professions. She is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist (LMFT), a Certified Practitioner of Psychodrama (CP), and a National Certified Counselor (NCC), and has the Approved Supervisor Designation from the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT).
Dr. Nieto specializes in expressive arts therapies, motivation, and creativity. She brings a human development approach to analysis of the psychological dynamics of oppression and privilege. In addition to her degrees in clinical psychology and human development, she is certified in Action Methods, including Psychodrama, Playback Theater, and is a practitioner of Theater of the Oppressed.
Since 1989 Dr. Nieto has been involved in Playback Theatre forming, training, and leading troupes. These have included Theatre of Difference, True Story Theatre, and Teatro de la Vida Real. She currently is Artistic Director of Pasajer@s Playback Theatre. http://www.pasajerosplaybacktheatre.org/ She also works with individuals and collectives in Mexico who have gone on to create their own active and vital Playback groups such as Chuhcan Playback, and ReVelArte. Additionallys, she has produced a number of performance art installations in Olympia under the names Acting for Change and The Deeper Story Project, and she has collaborated with performance artist Guillermo Gómez Peña
Her book, Beyond Inclusion, Beyond Empowerment: A Developmental Strategy to Liberate Everyone analyzes the psychological dynamics of privilege and oppression. It offers readers ways to develop skills to promote social justice. http://BeyondInclusionBeyondEmpowerment.com
- Nieto, L., & Boyer M.F., Goodwin, L., Johnson, G.R., & Smith, L. C. (2010) Beyond Inclusion, Beyond Empowerment: A Developmental Strategy to Liberate Everyone. Olympia, WA: Cuetzpalin.
- Nieto, L., Look Behind You: Using Anti-Oppression Models to Inform a Protagonist’s Psychodrama. In Leveton, E. (Ed.), Healing Collective Trauma Using Sociodrama and Drama Therapy. (pp. 103-125). New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Nieto, L., Strever, L., & Goodwin, L. (2007, March 8). Acting For Change: Integrating Social Justice, Somatic Awareness And Theatre. A supplement to the book by Blatner, A (2007). Interactive and Improvisational Drama: Varieties of Applied Theatre and Performance. Lincoln, NE: iUniverse, Retrieved September 1, 2008, from Interactive And Improvisational Drama Web site: http://www.interactiveimprov.com/act4change.html
- Nieto, L., & Boyer M.F. (2006, March). Understanding Oppression: Strategies in Addressing Power and Privilege. Colors NW Magazine, vol. 5 number 12, 30-33.
- Nieto, L., & Boyer M.F. (2006, October). Understanding Oppression: Strategies in Addressing Power and Privilege – Second Installment: Skill Sets for Targets. Colors NW Magazine, vol.6 number 7, 48-51.
- Nieto, L., & Boyer M.F. (2006, March). Understanding Oppression: Strategies in Addressing Power and Privilege. Colors NW Magazine, vol. 6 number 12, 34-38.