As a Catholic Benedictine university, Saint Martin's embraces a philosophy of living, not just learning. We'll prepare you to lead a life of purpose, service and compassion. As we listen with our hearts, we learn to trust one another, to respect our differences and to find opportunities where our unique talents and abilities can help create a better world.
The Benedictine tradition of educating the "whole" you
Community. Listening. Stewardship. These are just three of the Benedictine values that are at the heart of a Saint Martin's education. Guided by these hallmarks, we embrace and support each of you from your very first day to graduation day—and beyond. Here you'll be surrounded by professors, staff and students who believe that listening is the key to understanding and learning, and who also know that learning is a life-long pursuit.
Academics at Saint Martin's are founded on the 2,000‐year-old Catholic intellectual tradition that faith and reason walk hand-in-hand in the search for truth. Faculty members are encouraged to design curriculum that challenges your perceptions, stretches your imagination and opens your heart. Academic rigor in the classroom is combined with experiential activities, such as service learning projects and study abroad, in order to contribute to your success, not only as a professional in your chosen field but as a citizen of the world.
|1,349 undergraduate students||Professors serve as academic advisors and teach all classes|
|340 graduate students||94% of courses have fewer than 30 students|
|370 military, veteran and continuing students at extension campuses (JBLM, Centralia College and TCC)||76 full-time and 141 part-time faculty members|
The right size
Our small student-faculty ratio (12:1) means you’ll know and be known by your professors, as well as your fellow students. Here, you'll have the opportunity to work directly with professors, lead a research project, play a sport or start a club.
We may be small, but our offerings are abundant!
|27 undergraduate programs||8 pre-professional preparation tracks|
|7 graduate programs||6 non-degree disciplines|
|4 certification programs||English as a Second Language (ESL) intensive program|
|3 accelerated/fast track degree programs||Study abroad to over 20 countries|
A supportive environment
At Saint Martin's, everyone is as passionate about your hopes, dreams and goals as you are. That passion influences what we do and how we do it. Our goal is to provide the services you need to not only graduate but flourish.
Diverse and welcoming
Each one of us is unique. That may sound cliché, but it's also true! At Saint Martin's we celebrate uniqueness. It's our belief that as we come to understand each other, we come to understand ourselves and the world.
|36% of our students are students of color||11% of Saint Martin's students are international undergraduates|
|AHANA Connections (orientation) designed specifically for students of color||Student services help international students settle in the U.S.|
|Interfaith initiatives provide opportunities to deepen our own faith and understand others||30+ student clubs and organizations and intramural sports|
The perfect location
Saint Martin's is located in the heart of a thriving tri-cities community (Lacey-Olympia-Tumwater) at the southern-most end of Washington State's beautiful Puget (pronounced "pyoo-jet") Sound.
A vibrant region
The Pacific Northwest is a region packed with beautiful places and countless things to do in convenient locations. We are...
- One hour from Seattle and two hours from Portland, two of the most exciting and lovely cities in the nation
- In the shadow of majestic Mt. Rainier and surrounded by numerous outdoor pursuits, such as hiking, water sports, skiing and scenic mountain trails
- 45 minutes from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- Nearby the Sounder bus system into Seattle
- Within minutes from downtown Olympia, home to a vibrant arts community hosting local and nationally recognized artists, as well as the State Capitol
- In the backyard of an area that's been named on numerous "Best Cities" lists, including Kiplinger's, Forbes and Sperling's, over the last several years for its transit systems, business environment and low crime rate
An active campus
- 30+ student clubs, intramurals and organizations
- Saints Athletics: NCAA Division II with 13 varsity sports, including baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, track and field, and volleyball
- Charneski Recreation Center is open to all students and includes an indoor track, three full basketball courts, a weight room, and Yoga/Zumba studios
- 11% of undergraduates are international students
Activities: Open Mic Night, weekly activities programmed by PROs; Intramural sports; job and internship fairs; resume workshops; leadership opportunities; lecture, speaker and writer series