Join us for our first annual Teaching Equity: Advocating for Students regional conference at Saint Martin’s University.
Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018
9 a.m.-3 p.m
Cebula Hall, third floor
About our keynote speaker
Erin Jones, Independent Education and Systems Consultant
This conference will feature keynote speaker, Independent Education and Systems Consultant Erin Jones. She will provide an inspiring address focused on equity in education followed by round table facilitation and interactive conversations on teaching equity.
Find Erin on LinkedIn.
Involved in education for the past 26 years, Erin has taught in a variety of environments and in some of the most diverse communities in the nation. She has served as the Director of AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) for Tacoma School District; the Director of Equity and Achievement for Federal Way School District; the Assistant Superintendent of Student Achievement for OSPI; an instructional coach for Spokane Public Schools, and a classroom teacher in multiple districts.
- Share effective policies, information, strategies and practices to support all students
- Mobilize, inspire and engage educators in advocating for equity in education
- Build a strong network of support in your professional practice
It will be a great day to network and share with other educators.
Breakout session topics
Some of the break-out session topics include:
- Disrupting the over-representation of students of color in special education
- Racism, racial micro-aggressions, and the mental health of educators of color
- Supporting students from military families
- Developing equity teams
- Supporting McKinney-Vento students and students living in poverty
- Disrupting the school-to-prison pipeline
- Recruiting and retaining teachers of color
- Models for change: Effective truancy boards
- Supporting immigrant families and students in schools
You will receive information and resources to help educators support all students.
Clock hours will be available.
Space is limited. Please register early.
$45 for educators
$10 for students
$0 for Saint Martin's students, faculty, staff and presenters
(price includes morning coffee, lunch and clock hours)
Parking is free in lots C, N or O
Registration closes Oct. 23
For questions or further information, please email Conference Facilitator Dr. Linda Maier at firstname.lastname@example.org.