In order to be considered for full and unconditional admission* to the STAR program applicants must meet the following requirements.
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited (or equivalent) college or university with an overall 3.0 undergraduate GPA or graduate coursework GPA (those not meeting these criteria may be admitted conditionally).
- Completion of all three subtests of the WEST-B exam. SAT/ACT scores can supplement the WEST-B exam requirement. If you plan to use this test in place of the WEST-B exam, you will need to provide an official score report of the exam.
- Applicants must have at least one year of professionally oriented work experience.
- Moral character and personal fitness qualifications as adopted in the Washington Administrative Code for teachers.
- The WEST-E/NES must be completed before being accepted into the program.
- Additional credits for endorsement competencies may be required, based on your transcript review.
- Current certification in CPR and First Aid for Adults and Children
- Completion of all three subtests of the WEST-B exam.
- SAT/ACT scores can supplement the WEST-B exam requirement. If you plan to use this test in place of the WEST-B exam, you will need to provide an official score report of the exam.
International students must submit proof of English proficiency in one of two ways:
- An undergraduate degree from a U.S. institution where English is the language of instruction or
- An official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score report (less than two years old) sent directly from the testing agency. For full admission we require a 79 IBT/213 CBT/550 PBT on the TOFEL or 6.5 band score on the academic version of the IELTS.
Those students who do not meet the minimum required English proficiency but are otherwise admissible will be conditionally admitted through our ESL program.
Saint Martin's University is the sole judge of an applicant's English proficiency.
*Students not meeting these requirement will be considered for conditional admission. Saint Martin's University recognizes that while previous performance is a valuable indicator of potential success there are those who have demonstrated that potential in other ways than traditional academic performance.
The number of credit hours and course requirements for the STAR program depend on which option is chosen, either STAR - Certification only or STAR - Master's in Teaching (MIT).
STAR - Certification only - 43
STAR - MIT 40-45
In addition to these total required hours, the student may need to complete pre-requirements and/or endorsement courses. For the MIT option, the choice of thesis or non-thesis will impact the number of required credit hours.