The Bachelor of Arts degree in secondary education prepares you to become an integral part of our dynamic, inclusive and compassionate community of teaching professionals. We strive to use our knowledge, skills and dispositions to positively transform the lives of the students we serve.
Secondary ed program highlights
- 97 percent of our graduates find teaching jobs after graduation
- National accreditation and approved by the Washington Professional Educators Standards Board (PESB)
- Faculty members are professional educators with extensive, contemporary, real-world experience and work closely with their students
- Top employers includes public schools in Washington, Hawaii and California
- Course selections offer a wide spectrum of choice and flexibility
- Students participate in internships and network with local teachers and principals
“Because of what I've learned at Saint Martin’s, I approach the classroom with a more open mind, taking into account that I don't know students' situations at home. I learned, especially from Dr. Boyer and Dr. de Souza, how important it is for your students to first know how much you care.”
Mariah Partin '18
Secondary education minor
Before commencement, you participate in a semester-long supervised student teaching internship to help you launch a successful teaching career.
Saint Martin's matches you with a local school to get hands-on experience:
- planning and teaching lessons
- managing the classroom
- preparing for your teacher certification exam
... all under the guidance of a mentor teacher!
Study abroad opportunities open doors to teaching internationally.
“I learned about differentiated learning and culturally responsive teaching to help engage students."
Mariah Partin '18
Branksome Hall Asia
Seogwipo, South Korea
The secondary ed major prepares you for advanced study and/or teaching careers (grades four through 12) in a variety of environments:
- Public or private schools
- Tutoring and learning centers
- Overseas schools for military dependents
- Curriculum coordinator for school districts, museums or libraries
Top employers includes public schools in Washington, Hawaii and California.