The minor gives students a well-rounded education in creative, academic and professional and journalistic writing. At the same time, it allows students to specialize and develop an area of expertise. ch.
As an integral part of Saint Martin's vibrant Department of English, the writing program provides students with:
- Courses in the following three tracks: journalism, professional and academic writing, and creative writing
- Access to and interaction with a highly engaged faculty
- On-going opportunities for world travel
- Participation in the yearly Washington state Les Bailey Writers Series
- Professional experience through Saint Martin's student publication, The Belltower
- Membership in Sigma Tau Delta, the national English honor society
- Membership in the Saint Martin's University English Majors Facebook page
- Opportunities for internships with local businesses, the arts and the Washington State Legislature
- Opportunities for field trips and ethnographic observations of the Washington State Legislature
- Creative writing retreats at the Saint Martin's Abbey's Lambert Lodge, a beautiful, restorative retreat center on Eld Inlet in the Puget Sound
- Close relations with the Olympia Poetry Network’s monthly poetry readings and the Olympia Song Writer’s circle, both held at downtown Olympia's Traditions café
The writing minor welcomes and is applicable to all majors. Informed by the Benedictine philosophy of education, the writing minor offers students an enriching unique and practical academic experience that meets the needs of the whole person and assists students in writing eloquently for various purposes, audiences and contexts.