- Academic rigor prepares students for advanced study.
- Approximately 50 percent of graduates pursue advanced degrees. Saint Martin’s graduates have been accepted at such institutions as Seattle University, University of Arizona, University of Washington and Willamette University.
- Each department faculty member has received the Saint Martin's Outstanding Faculty Award.
- Professor Aaron Goings is a Fulbright Scholarship recipient (Finland 2014-2015)
Saint Martin's University's history program consists of critical examination of the world's peoples, places, and cultures in the past. Students studying history at Saint Martin's have the opportunity to work directly with our outstanding, award-winning faculty in close proximity to the Washington state capital, Olympia.
- 40-46 semester hours of CORE requirements
- 27 semester hours combined from upper-division courses in history, which varies depending on your emphasis. (United States, European or Non-Western history)
No more than six semester hours of internship credit may be applied toward requirements for a history major.
For information on the Washington State teacher education endorsement in history, please refer to the requirements as outlined in the education section of the academic catalog. For specific requirements for the endorsement in history, please review the History - Grades 5-12, Competency-based Endorsement form.
- Six semester hours of lower-division courses in American history or European history
- Six semester hours of upper-division courses in American history or European history
- Six semester hours of upper-division courses in political science