What to expect at Saint Martin's
At Saint Martin’s we believe that geographical, cultural, and temporal specializations are essential to the study of history, and, therefore, our program makes it possible for students to pursue concentrations in:
- United States history
- European history
- Non-Western history
We also offer courses in:
- African history
- Asian history
- Latin American history
- Middle Eastern history
Unique thematic and methodological courses such as immigration, women's, and labor history, compliment the core courses.
- Academic rigor prepares students for advanced study.
- Approximately 50 percent of graduates pursue advanced degrees. Saint Martin’s graduates have been accepted at such institutions as Seattle University, University of Arizona, University of Washington and Willamette University.
- Each department faculty member has received the Saint Martin's Outstanding Faculty Award.
- Professor Aaron Goings is a Fulbright Scholarship recipient (Finland 2014-2015)
Research and internships
Saint Martin’s students have ample opportunity to display the skills they acquire at Saint Martin's by working as history interns on campus and in the wider community, as well as during the annual Saint Martin's Scholars' Day presentations and the public presentations of their senior capstone projects.
Internship opportunities include:
- Washington State Legislature
- Washington State Historical Society
- Simpson Timber Archive
- Historical associations throughout Washington
It is our expectation that graduates from the history program will have excellent oral and written communication skills. Developing these skills will help graduates from the history program secure professional positions as educators and in the field of public history.
In part because of the skills students learn within our program, history graduates from Saint Martin's have successfully pursued careers in:
- Social Justice
For a complete list of professional applications, visit "What Can I Do With This Major?". For additional information about how Saint Martin’s can help you find the career for you, visit our Career Center.