"I would like students to take away from my classes that writing is one of the ultimate arts in self-expression. It is a serious means of finding communion with humanity. Write what you like to write, write often and with purpose and you may find yourself more in sync with the human planet."
- Students participate in research and internships as a fundamental part of the major.
- Individualized tailoring of the student’s program of study to prepare them for graduate study, or careers in science and/or policy.
- Strong commitment to an interdisciplinary approach with faculty from a variety of areas (Biology, English, Chemistry, Anthropology, History, Business, etc.).
- Opportunities for collaborations with local businesses, government agencies, non-profits, and universities.
- Proximity to natural resources and conservation sites, with opportunities to examine the interactions and collaborations between public and private organizations focused on environmental issues.