"I would like students to take away from my classes that writing is one of the ultimate arts in self-expression. It is a serious means of finding communion with humanity. Write what you like to write, write often and with purpose and you may find yourself more in sync with the human planet."
What to expect at Saint Martin's
The program excels at providing students with friendly advisors who welcome one-on-one conversations about writing, books, food and life. Students are given numerous opportunities, such as professor-led study abroad trips and membership in Sigma Tau Delta, the international English honor society, to develop long-lasting relationships that will enrich the personal and professional life of the student.
Additional benefits include:
- Participation in the yearly Les Bailey Writers Series
- Professional experience though Saint Martin's student publication, The Belltower
- Membership in the SMU English Majors Facebook page
- Internships with local businesses
- Training in industry standard software
- Creative writing retreats at the Saint Martin's Abbey's Lambert Lodge, a beautiful, restorative, retreat center on Eld Inlet in the Puget Sound
Research and internships
- The Olympian
- Capitol City Press
A degree in English prepares Saint Martin's graduates for careers in such fields as:
- Social services
- Human resources
- Professional Writing
- Health Services
- Global communications
Students also can prepare for the traditional fields of secondary and higher education and advanced study. English goes with everything!
For a complete list of professional applications, visit "What Can I Do With This Major?". For additional information about how Saint Martin’s can help you find the career for you, visit our Career Center.