The Peace Corps Prep program offers all current Saint Martin's University undergraduate students an amazing opportunity to enhance their academic experience with an emphasis on community development and service. Participants in the Peace Corps Prep (PCP) Program will develop relevant skills for Peace Corps service and/or careers in international service and community development. Areas of focus may be in the following fields: Education, Health, Environment, Agriculture, Youth in Development and Community Economic Development.
The program is free and participating students are not required to apply to the Peace Corps, nor is acceptance into Peace Corps guaranteed. However, successful completion of the SMU PC Prep Program will distinguish participants during the competitive application process for service, employment, or graduate studies.
For more information please download the Saint Martin's University Peace Corps Prep Student Guide. You can also contact the Peace Corps Prep Coordinator in the Study Abroad Office or the talk with the Career Center.
Freshman through junior years:
- Learn about Peace Corps & contact with the Program Coordinator. Complete a draft for your course of study by November 15th. The PCP Coordinator will be happy to provide feedback on drafts.
- Meet regularly with PCP Coordinator and other PCP students. PCP Certificates are issued each spring to students who have completed the course of study.
Junior year, fall semester:
- Turn in Peace Corps Prep application
Junior year, spring semester:
- Complete leadership or volunteer hours, and work with Career Development staff for help with resume and interview skills. You should be on track to complete required courses by the following spring, and developing application to Peace Corps and connecting with the local Peace Corps Representative for further assistance and guidance.
Senior year, fall semester:
- Program Coordinator will assist you in finalizing Peace Corps Prep certification requirements (if not already completed), and assists with the PC application if you are seeking placement.