What is the SMU Textbook Program?
The SMU Textbook Program is a rental program that gives you access to all your course materials, no need to shop around!
- You'll receive all your materials, physical books and digital materials before the first day of class on a rental basis
- Save 30-50% on the cost of the course materials each semester
- At the end of the semester, you simply return your books to the bookstore or you have the option to buy to own
All degree-seeking students, undergraduate and graduate, will automatically be enrolled in the program. Currently, this does not include any students in non-degree seeking programs such as WAVets2Tech or the ESL program. Students will have the option to "opt-out" of the program. See the section below on this.
- Once you register for your classes via Self-Service, the bookstore will start preparing your course materials
- One month before classes start, you will receive an email instructing you to select your delivery preference (e.g., in-store pickup or shipped directly to you)
- An email notification will be sent when your order is ready for pickup or when it ships
- Your digital materials will be delivered for your course(s) within Self-Service
All eligible students (see above, i.e., degree-seeking undegraduate or graduate students) will be automatically enrolled in the SMU Textbook Program. If you are enrolled as a seeking an undergraduate or graduate degree you do not need to do anything further.
While it is NOT recommended, students have the option to opt-out of this program by contacting the SMU Bookstore. Opting out means you will not receive access to your required course materials in a convenient package at a discounted rate.
Students must opt-out by the Add/Drop date at the start of each fall and spring semester. Student who opt-out one semester can be be enrolled in the textbook program the next semester. Students who want to remain "opt-out" will need to opt-out each semester.
If you change a course or drop a class, you may return the books to the bookstore on the same terms and timelines currently in place. If you drop a class and enroll in a different class, the bookstore will “swap” the required textbooks/codes so that you have what you need.
Costs and Payment
The program cost, based on a student's courseload, will be $23.75 per credit per semester.
Here's a quick table for reference:
|No. of credits||Total cost per semester|
Costs for the textbook program will be added to your semester student account and will appear listed as "SMU Textbook Program". Payment is to be made along with your other tuition and fees.
The program provides all required textbooks, lab manuals, access codes and digital textbook versions to eligible students.
Yes, the program provides you with the option to purchase textbooks at a reduced rate during the return period.
Yes, you will still be required to return continuation course textbooks. You will be issued the same title for the next semester of the continuation course.
The deadline to return all rental textbooks is the last day of finals. Students will receive email reminders about the rental deadline to their email address.