You serve our country. We serve you.

Saint Martin of Tours cutting off a piece of his cloak

We have supported the military community for more than 40 years and continue our commitment to providing high-quality post-secondary education programs for veterans, service members and their families.

In addition to service being one of our four University core themes, military service, in particular, is a significant part of our history. Learn more about our patron saint, Saint Martin of Tours.

At Saint Martin's, we understand the immense value your skills and experiences add to our community, and we are on a mission to provide you with the support you need to transform yourself personally and professionally, during your time of service and beyond.

2021-2022 Military Friendly® School

2021-2022 Military Friendly® School

Saint Martin's University is honored to be awarded the gold 2021-22 Military Friendly® school distinction and the highest ranked private, non-doctoral-granting institution in Washington.

Learn more about the Military Friendly® School designation

 The Military Order of the Purple Heart logo

First Purple Heart University in Washington

The Military Order of the Purple Heart designated Saint Martin’s the first Purple Heart university or college in Washington state. The designation is in recognition of Saint Martin’s history of supporting veterans and their families. 

Learn more about the Purple Heart University designation

Explore the opportunities

Old Main at Saint Martin's University

Main campus

We offer undergraduate and graduate programs along with a growing number of certificate programs on our main campus.

Find the right program for you  »

Student writing in a notebook

Saint Martin's-JBLM

To help you obtain your degree or certification while serving, we offer certain undergraduate, graduate and certification programs on Joint-Base Lewis-McChord.

View programs offered at Saint Martin's-JBLM  » 

WAVets2Tech students listening to a lecture

Washington Vets to Tech (WAV2T)

Earn your certificate in computer science on either our main or Saint Martin's-JBLM campus. 

Learn more about the WAVets2Tech program » 

Program info

Whether you are located in Washington or out of state, you may be able to finish your degree requirements online—and graduate! Stay connected with your instructors and your classmates using our online learning environment, MOODLE.

Learn how to use MOODLE  » 

Saint Martin's inventory of online courses stands at 150… and growing!

Subject areas include:

  • Psychology, sociology  
  • Economics, history, political science  
  • Criminal justice, legal studies  
  • Accounting, business administration  
  • Art, English, writing, theatre arts  
  • Philosophy, religion  
  • Computer science, math  

Online degrees

Currently, Saint Martin's-JBLM offers psychology as a fully online bachelor's degree program.

Are online courses right for me?

If the statements below describe you, there is a good chance you will find Saint Martin's University's online courses to be a good fit:

  • I prefer to figure out course and assignment instructions on my own.
  • I have good reading comprehension and I am comfortable expressing myself in writing.
  • I am comfortable learning how to use new software and technologies.
  • I take the initiative to ask for assistance when needed.
  • I am an organized student and often do assignments ahead of time.
  • I can continue the learning process without immediate feedback.
  • I enjoy doing academic research using online sources.

To receive VA benefits, you must follow the steps below:

1. Apply for admission to Saint Martin's.

Apply to our Main campus

Apply to Saint Martin's-JBLM

2. Apply for benefits through the VA.

The VA requires up to 30-45 days to process any paperwork submitted. Once eligibility and rate of percentage has been determined, a certificate of eligibility (COE) is mailed to your home address.

Note: Dependents approved to utilize benefits must also apply for benefits online through the VA website. You will receive notification of the dependent transfer approval.  

3. If you are attending classes on our main campus, bring your COE to the Saint Martin's Registrar's Office (Old Main, 245). If you are attending classes at Saint Martin's-JBLM, bring your COE to any of our JBLM offices.

Note: If you are a transfer student and have used your benefits at your prior institution, you need to provide a copy of the COE and fill out the request for change of program or place of training (22-5495). COE’s may be obtained through your prior institutions' veterans representative. 

4. Complete the Saint Martin's request for certification form.

Contact our Veteran's Representative:

Main campus
Old Main, 245

Joint Base Lewis-McChord
Mercedes Garrido
McChord Education Office

Our VA is available to answer any question you may have regarding the process of applying, understanding your benefits and certification.

Note: The VA Rep is not an academic advisor or an employee of the Department of Veterans Administration. The university cannot override VA policies or determine VA Eligibility, nor does the university control the issuance of VA educational benefits; however, academic decisions may impact your educational benefits, so we will help you with this decision making process. If you have direct questions regarding the processing of your paperwork through the regional office, please contact 1-888-442-4551.

5. Meet with your academic advisor.

Prior to registration, you will need to meet with your advisor to make sure you are registering for the proper classes, meeting degree requirements and making progress towards graduation.

VA chapters:

VA certication policy:

The veteran or dependent must provide a certificate of eligibility prior to being certified. They must first be registered for courses that they are being certified. Saint Martin’s University will not pre-certify for courses in advanced; students must be registered under advisor approval.

Saint Martin’s will not participate in accelerated pay if student is using Chapter 33. The VA pays directly to the school; tuition and fees should not be reported to the VA prior to bills being assessed to ensure accuracy of tuition and fees.

If student is certified prior to proof of entitlement and registration, the student may incur debt to the VA, which will become the student’s full responsibility. The VA certifying official is responsible for reporting tuition and fees directly to the VA and must keep records as accurate as possible so the student is not liable for mistakes by the institution, VA and certifying official.

Saint Martin's is a Yellow Ribbon school and does not cap how many students can participate in the program. 

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree-granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the maximum cap of $23,671.94 and ensure the students' tuition and fees are covered at the 100% rate.

As long as you are entitled to 100%, you automatically qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program; there is no additional paperwork to participate. 

  • The deadlines for adding a course, dropping a course with and without refunds, and withdrawing from a course with a grade of "W" are listed in each course schedule.
  • If you are using Go Army Ed, please be sure to drop your class through their system as well. 
  • This will send a notification to the SMU-JBLM office, and we can ensure you have been properly dropped from the course. 
  • When in doubt, please contact your advisor. 

View our full withdrawal policy »

Resources for veterans and military family members

Main campus:

The Center for Student Learning, Writing and Advising is located in the lower level of the O'Grady Library and offers individualized coaching for writing, student success workshops, and peer tutoring in a variety of subjects. Many of these services are also available through email so be sure to check out what they have to offer.  

Saint Martin's JBLM:

Note: JBLM students should use advisors located at the Stone Education Center on JBLM-Main.

Renee Burden
Academic Advisor and Program Coordinator
JBLM Main Extended Learning Division

  • Accounting
  • Business administration
  • Computer science
  • Information technology
  • Political science
  • Psychology 

Robin Pellerin
Academic Advisor and Program Coordinator
JBLM Main Extended Learning Division

  • Criminal justice

Note: Students in an education program will be advised through main campus.

McKenna Johnson
Program Coordinator and Education Admissions and Advising
College of Education and Counseling

  • Education programs

Your eight-week pass will be issued by the McChord or JBLM-Main visitors' center, depending on where your class is held. Arrive at the respective location a few hours early on the first day of class. 

McChord Education Center
Visitors' center: McChord main gate, exit 125

Stone Education Center
Visitors' center: JBLM-Main, exit 120

To issue a temporary base pass, personnel will need to see:

  • Your enhanced driver's license OR passport with driver's license
  • Vehicle registration
  • Current proof of insurance
  • Saint Martin's course schedule 
    • Go to the Self-Service finance tab, and print a student statement that shows current courses, or request a copy from a Saint Martin's-JBLM office.

Network access is needed for university Web-mail, Self-Service, and Moodle. Even one-time or part-time students need access, because official university email communication is done via Web-mail.

How to get a network account

  • Once you are accepted to Saint Martin's, a request will be sent to ITS to create your network account. 
  • Within two business days of your request, you should receive your network username at the email address you designated on your application. 
  • Activate your account by choosing a new network password of at least six characters (the password to begin is smu xxxx, where xxxx is the last four digits of your student ID number).

Need help logging in? 

  • Submit a help request, including your Saint Martin's ID number and a description of the issue. 
  • If the issue involves your Saint Martin's email, be sure to periodically check your alterantive email. This will be Integrated Technology Service's main form of communication if you cannot log in to your email. 

To determine which books you need,  visit the Saint Martin's University Bookstore online. 

Saint Martin's University Bookstore

On their webpage you will be able to insert course information (e.g., term, section, department) to find required course materials. Please be sure to select the correct section; different sections of the same course may have different books.

Download a step by step guide » 

Book vouchers using scholarships/Chapter 31 voc rehab

If you are planning to use scholarship or Chapter 31 vocational rehabilitation and employment funding to buy your textbooks, please register as early as possible. Once you register, we will verify your status and account balances and will forward the authorization to the Saint Martin's University Bookstore. 

If you have any questions, please contact the Saint Martin's Bookstore at or 360-438-4394.

Find support, resources and community in our main campus Veterans Center.

Harned Hall, 211
(Vet Corps Navigator's office is 211A)

Monday to Friday
8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Interested in getting involved on campus and connecting with fellow veterans? 

Contact or advisor Dr. David Olwell, and follow the Veteran's Club on Facebook!


  • Request an incomplete grade? You need to ask your instructor to complete his/her portion, then submit the completed form to your advisor.
  • Request to enroll in more than nine credits in a single term? Submit completed form to your advisor.
  • Order a copy of my official Saint Martin's transcript? Submit completed form to the Registrar. SMU-JBLM offices cannot process official transcript requests, this must be done through the Office of the Registrar at the Lacey campus. 
  • Change my major? Before changing majors be sure to speak to your advisor to ensure that your intended major is offered at SMU-JBLM. Then, submit completed form to your advisor.
  • Request to enroll in a main campus (Lacey) courseSubmit the completed form to either of the SMU-JBLM's offices.
  • Apply for re-admission? You will need to submit a completed admission application if you have not been enrolled in Saint Martin's classes for a semester or more. If you have taken any classes at other colleges or universities during your time away from Saint Martin's you will need to submit an official transcript from that institution to earn transfer credit. 
  • Apply for graduation? Submit a graduation application to the Office of the Registrar. Be sure to communicate with your advisor to ensure you have completed all components needed to graduate.  

11th America's Service Heroes Scholarship Recipient

Photo of Spc. Nazario I. Ramirez

Spc. Nazario I. Ramirez

2019 America's Service Heroes Scholarship recipient

Spc. Nazario I. Ramirez, a member of the U.S. Army for more than two years, has been chosen by Saint Martin’s University as its 11th recipient of the America's Service Heroes Scholarship. The award was announced Nov. 2 at Saint Martin’s Gala 2019, a major fundraising event for University student scholarships.

Read more about the America's Service Heroes Scholarship

Saint stories