Saint Martin’s is a Roman Catholic, Benedictine, coeducational university
offering undergraduate and graduate degrees at its main campus near
Olympia as well as its extensions at Fort Lewis Army Post, McChord Air
Force Base and Olympic College.
Saint Martin’s was established in 1895 as a school for boys by monks of
the 1,500-year-old Roman Catholic Order of Saint Benedict. They followed
the order’s age-old tradition in providing an education of “mind, heart
While Saint Martin’s at first offered what would now be considered high
school to junior college curriculum, it evolved over the years into a
full-fledged university in the modern sense of the word. It has been a
continuously accredited university since 1937.
The school's name was officially changed to Saint Martin’s
University in August 2005, to more accurately reflect an institution
that offers both undergraduate and graduate programs.
For 110 years, monks of Saint Martin’s Abbey, which shares the
campus, and their lay colleagues have provided an exceptional education
grounded in the liberal arts. The University offers 21 baccalaureate and
six graduate degree programs, among them highly regarded programs in
education, engineering and business administration.
The Saint Martin's community is shaped by its Benedictine heritage,
characterized by a commitment to intellectual and spiritual growth,
hospitality, service and creativity.
Physically, the Saint Martin’s campus occupies some
300 acres between the City of Lacey’s Pacific Avenue and Martin Way. The
University recently renovated the Baran Residence Hall and completed
construction on a recreation center named for Brian Charneski, vice-chair of
the board of trustees.
Among the university’s buildings are:
- Old Main, the University’s primary classroom and administrative building.
- Hal and Inge Marcus Pavilion, which is used for sports events, as well as large conferences,
graduations and community events and festivals.
- Norman Worthington Conference Center, adjoining the Hal and Inge Marcus Pavilion, which is the site for
numerous campus and community activities and meetings.
- O’Grady Library, an outstanding new facility designed by renowned architect Michael Graves.
- Saint Martin’s Abbey and Church, the campus’ spiritual center.
Saint Martin’s University online campus tour
return to TOP
||Saint Martin’s College founded
||First wing of Old Main completed
||KGY Radio begins broadcasting on campus
||Old Main construction finished
||Saint Martin’s accredited
||First baccalaureate degrees offered
||Coed enrollment begins
||Military extension programs started
||Graduate programs begin
||David R. Spangler, Ph.D., appointed as
||Institute of Pacific Rim Studies started
||South Campus renovation completed
||Father Neal Roth, O.S.B elected abbot
||100th anniversary celebrated
||College joins NCAA, Division II
||Old Main and other campus upgrades finished
||Kreielsheimer Hall performing arts
education building opened
||O'Grady Library opens
||Most recent reaccreditation of college and
||Douglas M. Astolfi, Ph.D., appointed as
||Saint Martin's College becomes Saint
||Roy F. Heynderickx, Ph.D. appointed as
and Board starting from
receiving financial aid
|Average first year financial
dollars devoted to financial aid
|Total financial aid dollars
return to TOP