Graduate/Parent PLUS Loans
The Federal Direct PLUS Loan is an optional federal loan program for both
graduate students parents of dependent students, who wish to access
additional resources beyond what a student is eligible to receive.
This credit-based parent loan option may cover up to the total cost of
attendance (COA) as defined by Saint Martin's University, minus student aid.
The present interest rate for the Federal Direct PLUS Loan is fixed at
7.21 percent. All Federal Direct PLUS loans are charged a 4.288 percent
origination fee upon each disbursement.
In the event a parent of a dependent student is denied after completing
the Parent PLUS loan application,
their student will be eligible for a high Unsubsidized Stafford loan amount.
Who can apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan?
- A graduate student
- A students biological, adoptive parent or the student's stepparent,
if the biological or adoptive parent remarried at the time of the
- A borrower cannot have adverse credit history
- Must be a US Citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Must complete a FAFSA application each year
Applying for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan
To complete an application:
- Review your different
- Go to
- The parent borrower will be asked to sign in using their FAFSA PIN
- If the parent does not have a PIN they can request
on at: www.pin.ed.gov
- Click on "Start PLUS Application Process"
- The parent borrower will authorize an immediate credit check
- If the credit is approved and it is the first time that the parent
borrower is seeking the Federal Direct PLUS, the borrower will be
directed to complete the DL Parent PLUS MPN
- It is strongly recommended that the parent complete
the PLUS MPN after they receive approval notice
Disbursement of Direct Parent PLUS Loan
If there is a credit balance resulting on the student's account due to a
Direct Parent PLUS loan, the Department of Education requires that the
parent submit a PLUS Loan Directive to indicate if the funds should be
refunded to the student or the parent.
The PLUS Loan Directive form will be mailed out to the address on file
after the loan has been added to the student's financial aid package. We
will be unable to disburse any refunds of the Parent PLUS Loan without a
completed directive on file.