Program mission statement
Religious studies is an interdisciplinary department offering a major, a
minor and electives, enabling students with a variety of interests to
explore religious traditions, practices and values. The Judeo-Christian
heritage is emphasized, yet we foster respect for and understanding of other
religious traditions in our approach to education. Religious studies faculty
members focus on wide range of topics, including Scripture, sacramentality
and the moral dimension in human behavior. As representatives of the
Catholic Benedictine tradition, we are committed to an ecumenical and
interfaith spirit that promotes the concepts of peace, justice and social
Program goals, objectives and outcomes
Students majoring in religious studies will acquire:
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of the world’s religious
traditions, teachings and practices.
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of the Catholic and other
- Demonstrate an understanding of the biblical story and approaches to
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret primary religious texts in
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically and to write
independently about religious and theological issues.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply religious and ethical values
and beliefs to life.