Program mission statement
The mission of the music department is to encourage students to explore
the value of music in their lives. Students who study music at Saint
Martin’s University have the advantage of a strong music program within a
liberal arts setting. Courses in music integrate the study of music
literature, history and theory with musical performance to develop
intellect, familiarity with a variety of cultures, interpersonal
relationships and poise.
Program goals, objectives and outcomes
Students will be able to demonstrate:
- Conceptual understanding of musical components and processes.
- Achievement of professional, entry-level competence in the area
of specialization, including significant technical mastery,
capability to produce work and solve professional problems
independently, and a coherent set of artistic/intellectual goals
which are evident in their work.
- Ability to communicate musical ideas, concepts, and requirements
to professionals and lay persons related to the practice of the
major field. Such communication may involve musical, oral, written,
and visual media.
- Competence in creating, interpreting, presenting, analyzing, and
- Appreciation of music and its role in society.
- Appreciation of music and its sacred connections.