Program mission statement
The primary mission of the Department of Civil Engineering is to
provide excellence in engineering education covering civil engineering
theory, design, construction and management of civil engineering
projects; to provide preparation in the skills sought by regional civil
engineering employers as well as skills required for professional
registration and for successful civil engineering practice; to provide
graduates the skills and motivation required for graduate studies and
for lifelong learning.
The mission of the civil engineering program dovetails into the
mission of the School of Engineering and the University and guides the
formation of the educational objectives of the program.
Program goals, objectives and outcomes
Saint Martin's School of Engineering, civil engineering graduates will:
- Be successful as practicing civil engineering professionals
in diverse career paths or in graduate school.
- Distinguish themselves in breath of perspective and the
ability to solve complex problems.
- Be effective communicators and team members, with many
assuming leadership roles.
- Be active in their profession and participate in continuing
education opportunities to foster personal and organizational
- Demonstrate a concern for ethical behavior, and societal
improvement consistent with the Benedictine tradition, through
participation in professional and civic organizations
ABET, Inc. prescribes that engineering programs require that all its
students demonstrate the ability to:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- Design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and
- Design a system, component, or process to meet desired
- Function on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- Understand professional and ethical responsibilities.
- Communicate effectively.
- Understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global
and societal context.
- Recognize the need for, and engage in life-long learning.
- Understand contemporary engineering issues.
- Use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools
necessary for engineering practice.