Program mission statement
The Master of Mechanical Engineering (MME) Program is designed to provide
engineering and science graduates with specialized technical knowledge
oriented toward professional engineering practice in their field of interest
within mechanical engineering. The program provides an opportunity to our
undergraduate students as well as local professionals to acquire an advanced
degree (master degree). For our undergraduate students, it can provide a
fast track when they combine the MME and BSME degree.
Program goals, objectives and outcomes
- The program includes advanced courses knowledge in the
thermal/fluids, mechanics and controls areas of mechanical engineering.
- The courses in the MME program are practice-oriented and designed to
be an extension of the specialization begun with the undergraduate
mechanical engineering senior electives.
- With the necessary prerequisites, senior SMU undergraduate students
can take master level courses as senior electives and begin to
specialize their choice of specific disciplines in mechanical
- Students will emerge with enhanced engineering analysis and
design skills according to his or her professional objectives.
- With the necessary prerequisites, senior SMU undergraduate
students can take master level courses as senior electives and begin
to specialize with specific skills in their choice of the mechanical