Position title: Human Resource Coordinator
Reports to: Associate Vice President for Human
Resources and Title IX Coordinator
This position is responsible for employee benefit processing, coordinating the staff recruiting and hiring process
and assisting with advertising faculty recruitment, maintaining employee records, and assisting with
or facilitating staff training and human resource events.
Additional responsibilities include providing confidential
administrative support to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources (AVP-HR), serving as the first point of contact for human resource inquiries and overseeing the department in the AVP-HR’s absence.
Mission and strategic plan
The Office of Human Resources believes that the ultimate value of Saint Martin's University is primarily dependent upon its people. The Office of Human Resources strives to provide a safe, efficient, and attractive work environment through maintenance of good physical working conditions, fair, equitable and proper work practices and safeguards, and the fostering of harmonious work relationships among all employees. The Office of Human Resources promotes
an environment where all members of our community—students, staff, and faculty—feel safe, welcome and included.
This position supports the Saint Martin’s University mission and strategic plan by assisting the AVP-HR in ensuring the university’s compliance with federal /state employment laws and regulations and by providing the tools, resources and support services for employees in the areas of training and development, employee relations, employment, compensation, benefits administration and related activities.
Level of supervision and supervisory responsibility
General Direction: The employee carries out work assignments in accordance with the policies and objectives established by the supervisor. The employee plans and organizes the work, determines the work methods which will be employed and assists in determining priorities and deadlines. Completed work is reviewed in terms of the employee’s effectiveness in producing the expected results.
Responsibilities and essential functions
- Oversee employee retirement, medical, dental, life & disability and flexible spending enrollment and participation processes.
- Collect and process benefit enrollment and change applications. Ensure employee enrollment and changes are reflected on the provider’s website. Assess and determine eligibility of applicants; assign effective dates for benefits; communicate status of changes with employees. Monitor employee benefit files by ensuring files are updated, in order, accurate and properly documented.
- Lead the coordination of open enrollment, benefits fair and retirement educational sessions. Coordinate the logistics ensuring all details have been attended to prior to the event including space, equipment, presentations, materials, and supplies, set up and tear down, etc.
- Work collaboratively with the benefit provider and/or the payroll administrator to resolve benefit issues.
- Monitor FMLA and COBRA status of employees and provide notification of limits to employees.
- Review and process employee status changes name/address changes, marital status, etc.
- Process Tuition Remission applications and work collaboratively with the student financial services when approving participants. Maintain up to date information on the Tuition Remission logs.
- May assist with Tuition Exchange processing.
Recruitment and Hiring
- Oversees position requisition process; advises supervisors and/or hiring
managers of the need to develop new or revised position descriptions. May assist in the development
or update of job descriptions.
- Assist the AVP-HR in training hiring managers, supervisors and interview committees on the recruitment, selection and hiring process for employees (including student employees.)
- May sit on interview committees at the request of the AVP-HR and the hiring manager.
- Develops and implements cost efficient recruitment strategies for the purpose of gaining a qualified and diverse applicant pool.
- Prepare and post position announcements for current openings. Ensure advertisements have no disparate impact. Maintain the human resources website.
- Discuss hiring procedures and benefits with prospective applicants and employees.
- Collect applications and maintains applicant tracking logs. Screening applicants for minimum qualifications and preparing application packets for interview committees.
- May assist managers in the development of interview and reference check questions.
Ensure reference checks have been conducted. May conduct reference checks.
- Conduct background checks referring issues of concern to the AVP-HR.
- Conduct new hire orientations.
- Prepare staff new hire letters for AVP-HR approval and signature; create employee files.
- Collect and review hiring paperwork for completeness prior to forwarding it to the payroll administrator.
- Serve as central point of contact for internal and external constituents. Meet, greet, and assist
guests via telephone and personal contact. Respond to inquiries concerning human resource compliance and university employment policy and procedures verbally and in writing, analyze and handed inquiries as appropriate. Maintain a customer-driven professional environment. Oversee day-to-day operations of the department in the absence of the AVP-HR.
- Maintain confidential information regarding employee records (active, separated and archived). Establish and maintain office filing system (electronic and manual) eliminate duplication of records and ensure compliance with human resource practices and retention rules.
- Monitor and orders office and benefit supplies when needed. Monitor departmental budgets (operations and search) and keep AVP-HR informed of budget status.
- Perform departmental clerical functions. Draft or prepare purchase requests, reports, correspondences and other documents in support of the departmental operations. Receive and screen incoming correspondence, telephone calls, reports and mail.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the departmental strategic plan, assessment reports preparation and the fulfillment of departmental goals. Assist with tracking and maintaining progress reports on strategic planning, goals and objectives. Assist the AVP-HR in continually assessing the efficiency of the services provided by the department. Recommends suggestions for improvements to AVP-HR.
- Assist in developing a process to monitor receipt of staff performance appraisals.
- Monitor employee online trainings to ensure timely completion. Assist the AVP-HR in the development of a comprehensive employee orientation/onboarding program. Assist AVP-HR in coordinating and facilitating university training programs. Research training format.
- Assist in coordinating and facilitating student employee supervisor training.
- Assist the AVP-HR with special projects including preparation of data and ad-hoc reports, review and analysis of issues, and problem solving.
- May intake information on confidential employee relations issues.
- May participation in university committees and councils, attend professional development workshops, seminars and conferences at the direction of the AVP-HR.
- Processing verifications of employment.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
- Associate degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years of administrative support experience in an office setting, preferably in a human resource department.
- Advanced experience with using office technology; word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software.
- Successfully pass a criminal background check.
- Must be supportive of a Catholic, Benedictine philosophy of education.
- Experience with Great Plains/Dynamics and Power Campus.
- Experience monitoring budgets.
- Experience coordinating events.
- Experience in public speaking.
- Experience working in a higher education setting.
- Demonstrates general knowledge of human resource concepts principles, best practices,
laws within assigned area.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure
quality. Prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and
develops realistic action plans.
- Edits work for spelling and grammar. Presents numerical data effectively and
is able to read and interpret written information.
- Makes sound, well-informed and objective decisions.
- Actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures,
and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to appropriately to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Easily adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, delays or unexpected events. Exhibits willingness to try new things.
- Develops and maintains positive and productive working relationships with internal and external customers by listening, understanding and responding to apparent and/or underlying needs. Continually seeking to provide the highest quality service to all.
- Clearly conveys information (verbal and written) to individuals or
Demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other
people's ideas and thoughts. Gains credibility by fostering respect for all
individuals and points of view. Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or
- Applies knowledge of contemporary applicable data management systems as well
as data collection and record filing systems to compile, assimilate, organize,
store and retrieve electronic and printed information. Accesses, reviews,
compile and analyze multiple sources of data and information to generate
appropriate criteria for reports and presentations.
- Demonstrates unquestionable integrity and ethics and maintains strict confidentiality
when handling sensitive information.
- Effectively organizes multiple assignments to produce work products that are
accurate, thorough, and on time. Identifies and resolves problems in a timely
manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Responds to difficult and/or stressful, sensitive interpersonal situations
in ways that reduce or minimize potential conflict and maintain good working
relationships among internal and external customers. Demonstrates excellent
communication skills in building and maintaining internal and external customer
trust, respect and confidence. Excellent communication skills including verbal,
written and active listening including the ability to give full attention to the
customer and displaying a good-natured, sincere, cooperative attitude and
professional demeanor. Demonstrates ability to focus on the customer’s expected
results. Seeks customer feedback and ensures needs have been fully met.
- Effectively uses self-management skills when exercising appropriate
independent judgment. Demonstrates knowledge of the appropriate time to move
discussion of customer concern to the AVP-HR to resolve conflict.
- Demonstrates an appreciation of diversity and the benefits of a commitment
to cultural awareness and sensitivity in the workplace. Establishes and
maintains positive working relationships with students, faculty and staff
representing diverse ethnic, cultural, socioeconomic and learning abilities.
- Actively contributes to a work environment that embraces Catholic
Benedictine values. Understands the vision, mission, functions, resources,
values, culture, and business strategies of the department and how they align
with those of Saint Martin's University.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be
met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions.
- Moves objects (less than 20 pounds) long distances (more than 20 feet).
- Ability to be mobile campus wide for appropriate business needs.
- Operates a variety of standard office equipment requiring continuous or
repetitive arm-hand movements.
- Reading, writing, speaking, hearing, standing, bending, sitting.
- Learning and comprehending.
- Requires visual concentration on detail.
- Manual dexterity and precision required for keyboarding.
- Must be able to sit for long periods at a time at a computer.
- May occasionally be required to deal with distraught people.
- Must be able to concentrate on details and process complex information while
experiencing frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with people at all levels under
- Must maintain strict confidentiality relating to all issues in the
department, the University and the President’s Office.
The principles of the Catholic Benedictine tradition, equal
employment opportunity, and nondiscrimination are fundamental to the
mission, goals, and objectives of Saint Martin’s University. The
University does not discriminate in employment or in the delivery or
administration of its educational programs, policies, scholarship and
loan programs, athletic or other University programs on the basis of
sex, sexual orientation, race, color, religion (except as a bona fide
occupational qualification for certain select positions), marital
status, national or ethnic origin, military or veteran status, age, or
Students or employees with concerns or complaints about discrimination on the
basis of sex in employment or an education program or activity, or any other
inquiries related to the University's non-discrimination policy, may contact the
Director of Human Resources/Title IX Coordinator
5000 Abbey Way SE, Lacey WA 98503
Consistent with the requirements of Title IX of the Education Amendments of
1972 and the regulations adopted under that law, the University has designated
the above individual as the University's Title IX Officer, responsible for
coordinating the University's Title IX compliance. Individuals may also contact
the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, 915 2nd Avenue, Room
3310 Seattle, WA 98174-1099, Telephone: (206) 220-7900, TDD: (206) 220-7907.