Physical location
438 Old Main (campus map)

Mailing address
Graduate Studies
5000 Abbey Way
Lacey, WA 98503

Office hours
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday - Friday

Graduate Studies



Physical location
438 Old Main

Mailing address
Graduate Studies
5000 Abbey Way SE
Lacey, WA 98503

Office hours
9 a.m. - 6 p.m.

9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday - Friday

New student checklist

Welcome to the Saint Martin's Community! This is a list of things to take care of and be aware of before starting your graduate program.

  • Apply for financial aid (if applicable). If you are applying for financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to include the Saint Martin's University school code: 003794 on your FAFSA. If you did not submit your Social Security number on your application to your graduate program, please contact us with your SSN as this will be required to match your FAFSA to your aid.
  • Set up your Saint Martin's University account using the computer account and email address online form. This will allow for you to register.
  • Make an advising appointment with your advisor. The name of your advisor is on your admissions letter.
  • Register for classes using Self-Service. Education students at JBLM can find detailed room information for classes on the ELD website. Have questions about registration? Call our office, or use the Self-Service User's Guide.
  • Buy your books. Required and recommended books can be found for main campus and MBA students at Saint Martin's University bookstore website. Education JBLM students can find their required books on the ELD page and order their books from MBS direct.
  • Register for orientation. Currently, orientation is held for Fall and Spring only. However, all students are welcome to attend, including continuing students.
  • Obtain your student ID card. All graduate students must obtain a student ID card no later than the first day of classes. Bring photo ID and proof of registration (a print out of your schedule or payment will work) to the office of public safety, located in 215 Old Main (open 24hrs).
  • Obtain your parking pass from the office of public safety. You will need to provide proof of current insurance and registration in order to be issued a parking pass. Parking on campus is free, but you will be ticketed for parking without a permit or in the incorrect lot.
  • Submit the required proof of immunization forms. If this is not submitted, a hold will be put on your registration. Active duty military AND students at the JBLM campus are exempt from this requirement.
  • Submit your proof of military / VA status (if applicable). Proof of active duty, family member, National Guard/reservists, spouses, disabled veterans (not VocRehab) status must be provided to any of the extension campus offices or to the student accounts office on the main Lacey campus. If no proof has been provided, you will be entered as a "civilian". Because there may be a difference in tuition cost, please provide this proof as soon as possible so that we can adjust your rate accordingly. Additional military resources are available for review.
  • Apply for the insurance billing waiver (if applicable). This can be done online after you register for classes.
  • Sign up for a payment plan (if desired). Information can be found on the student accounts website.
  • Submit your final transcripts / proof of degree (if applicable). If you were admitted on the condition that you submit your final transcripts and proof of degree, you will not be able to register until they are received by the Office of Graduate Studies.
  • If you plan on living on campus, submit your online housing form and housing deposit. Most graduate students prefer to live in Baran or Spangler hall. Do this early, as housing tends to fill up, especially the apartment-style rooms.

How to contact us: call +1 360-412-6142

Step 1: Take care of your visa – do this NOW and don’t wait! You can research the visa wait times at your local embassy here:

  1. Pay the I-901 fee. This is also called the “SEVIS fee.” You must pay before you can schedule your Visa appointment with the US Embassy. It is easiest to do this online if possible, with a credit card or debit card. Visa, MasterCard, and American Express are accepted.
    1. Have your I-20 available. You will need it to fill out the form. Make sure you are able to print from your computer, as you will need to print your receipt.
    2. Go to: and follow the prompts. Study in the states has a video about how to pay the fee:
    3. Once you finish paying, a payment confirmation will be displayed, which is a I-797C form. Print this for your records.
    4. You can check on your payment, or reprint your confirmation by visiting:
  2. Once you have paid your I-901 fee and you have your I-797C proof of payment, make your visa appointment. Have your I-20 and I-797C ready.
    1. To schedule your appointment, visit the US Embassy website, and choose the embassy where you plan to have your interview:
    2. Once you are at the embassy website, choose “Visa” from the drop-down menu, and select the option “Apply for a non-immigrant Visa.” Here you will find the instructions for scheduling an appointment. Remember, you are applying for a “non-immigrant” F-1 visa.
  3. Prepare for your interview.
    1. Carefully read “NAFSA’s 10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Nonimmigrant Visa”: Tips for Visa interview.
    2. Be sure to bring your passport, I-20, I-797C, proof of financial support, admission letter, transcripts, and any additional information listed on the embassy website or your appointment confirmation.
    3. If your visa is denied, you can re-apply for a visa by re-paying the I-901 fee and applying for another interview. Please see The Visa Denial Webpage for detailed information about denials and reapplying. Please note: the Office of Graduate Studies will only issue one additional I-20 if you postpone your attendance due to a visa denial.

STEP 2: Prepare to arrive in the USA and at Saint Martin's University

  1. Schedule your flight to arrive before orientation day. The nearest airport to Saint Martin's University is SEA-TAC airport (SEA). Please note that if you arrive before the designated airport pick-up day, you will be required to arrange for your own transportation from the airport. To book your own transportation, we suggest you use the Capitol Aeroporter:
  2. Submit your arrival information using our online arrival form. ALL students MUST report their arrival information. If you do not, we will not be prepared for your arrival, and we may not be able to assist you.
  3. Arrange for housing. You have a choice of living on-campus or off-campus. We strongly recommend that new international students choose to live on campus for their first year. This provides the opportunity to adjust to life in the USA, meet friends, and research locations to live off-campus.
    1. If you choose to live on-campus: submit your online housing form and housing deposit. Most graduate students prefer to live in Baran or Spangler hall. Do this early, as housing tends to fill up, especially the apartment-style rooms.
    2. If you choose to live off-campus, there are several apartment complexes nearby. You will have to work with them to pass a credit check. Most will require that you sign a lease for 6 and up to 12 months. You must arrange housing BEFORE YOU ARRIVE. Most apartments will be unfurnished. Unless you have friends or family in the area, it will be very difficult for you to get the items that you need to set up an apartment on your own.
    3. Set up your Saint Martin's University account using the computer account and email address online form. This will allow for you to register.
    4. Email your advisor. Your advisor’s name and email address are on your admission letter. Introduce yourself and ask which classes they recommend.
    5. Register for orientation.
    6. Register for classes online using self-service:
    7. Get the required TWO MMR vaccinations (or proof you have already received them), and TB test and have your health care provider sign the two forms below. These should be sent before you arrive. We can accept scanned documents.
      1. TB required form
      2. immunization required form
    8. Schedule an appointment with a dentist, and get any procedures you need done in your home country. Dental work is very, very expensive in the USA, and your insurance will not cover dentist visits.
    9. Think about how you will get around. Public transportation in the USA is not as well-developed as many other countries. There is a good bus system in Olympia / Lacey, and the campus is near a bus depot, but living too far away from the campus is not recommended. Many students find that purchasing a car and/or a bicycle is a worthwhile investment.
    10. Have a plan for how you will pay your bill. List of payment options: Remember, international students CANNOT WORK OFF-CAMPUS, and on-campus employment opportunities are very limited.
    11. Prepare for your flight. Make sure to bring your passport, I-20, I-707C, admission letter, airport pick-up information and print out of your class schedule.
    12. Ship any items you may need we can hold items for you until you arrive. The address is: Graduate Studies, 5000 Abbey Way, Lacey, WA 98503, USA.
    13. Arrive in Lacey! Remember, you cannot move in any earlier than the first day that the residence halls open. Again, you must let us know when you plan to arrive. We have limited staff, and we must plan ahead in order to assist you to the level we would like.
    14. Once you are here, stop by the Office of International Programs. Their office would like to meet you and welcome you to campus.

The Office of Graduate Studies

Graduate studies home